I Wish You Were Here | Teen Ink

I Wish You Were Here

By disabatolucas BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
disabatolucas BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado

"If you ain't livin', you're dyin'"- Me Lucas DiSabato

The day was August 11, 2027. The day the whole town went to the same funeral to honor and the celebrate the life of American hero Conley Walsh, he was our town hero. Walsh was killed in action earlier that summer alongside his friends and fellow soldiers Ari Judas and Johnny Alvaro. They were lucky enough to survive. Although neither of them lived in our town, they both made it to the funeral.
I remember that day very well. I remember seeing people go up to the casket, all slow and broken up about the passing and pay their respects with a salute or a prayer. They let people go up to speak about Conley in front everyone and share some memories. The first person up was Conley’s wife, Carly Walsh. I knew her as Mrs. Walsh. She spoke for a long time with tears running down her face, but something she said really stood out to me. “Even though Conley was tougher than tough, knew his way around a gun, and raised hell on the battlefield, when he was home, he was the sweetest man, a great husband, and a loving father.” She stopped to gather herself and wipe away some tears. At that moment I looked over to their adorable baby twins sleeping in a stroller. They were sleeping so peacefully as if Conley was blessing their dreams.
She continued on: “everyone here listening has obviously been touched by Conley in some way. You’re all here cherishing and honoring his memory. Cherish every moment. You never know when the person you love most will be taken from you.” She said “I wish you were here” under her breath while wiping more tears and heading back to her seat.
Next to speak and share his memories about Conley was Ari Judas. A young Jewish man who goes way back with Conley. As Ari made it to the altar, I noticed a look of disgust on the face of Conley’s other long time buddy Johnny Alvaro.
He started to talk right away without any emotion, like a ghost or dead man walking. It was weird.
“For those of you that don’t know me. I’m  Ari Judas. I served and was the commander of the Navy SEAL team Conley was apart of. Conley and I have done it all together. We were each other's best man, we’ve each seen our fair share of war, we’ve killed other people together. Everything, you name it, we’ve done it. We’ve seen it all over seas. As friends, partners, soldiers you do everything together. Whether it’s sharing a bed, making sure neither of us quits the harsh training, and making sure we don’t die. But that’s the thing. Conley Walsh is dead. When a SEAL dies the whole team wears it, and believe it’s their fault.” He paused, glanced around at everybody in their seats. They were all motionless with full attention to hear this man’s story. They were all ready to for him to finish. Ari went on to talk about their childhood together, I wasn’t paying attention. I was looking around to see everyone’s reactions and expressions are their face. He must’ve been talking for an hour before he finished. He seemed very comfortable talking in front of people.
He finished by saying “we are all haunted by the choices we make. Whether it’s towards enemies, loved ones, or strangers. Those choices can be made because of love, anger, revenge, or perhaps even jealousy. Let's not gather here to be haunted by and weep over the choices made by Conley Walsh. He chose to serve his country. He chose to kill enemies to save loved ones and strangers back home- out of the love he has for his country and his wife, Carly. Lets not be haunted by his choice, but honor and celebrate the fact that he chose to fight for the freedom we all want and deserve.”
Ari stopped talking and went back to his seat without making eye contact with anyone. There was a lot of head nodding, and less sobbing amongst the people in attendance for Conley’s funeral. The next person who wanted to say a few words was Conley’s other long time friend and fellow SEAL, Johnny Alvaro. It was as if Johnny was the opposite of Ari. Johnny was speaking with lots of emotions and moving his arms instead of keeping them at his waist side.
“Hello everyone I’m Johnny Alvaro, I also served with Conley on the same SEAL team. I have come before you and God to share my story about what happened over seas to the man we all love, Conley Walsh. Everything Ari Judas said before me is true. We all have choices we make that define us and are made because of other people. The choice made by Conley Walsh was an argument with a fellow SEAL.”  At that moment I had noticed a look of worry across the face of Ari Judas with sweat dripping down from his brow. Before Ari could notice I was looking at him, I shifted my focus back to what Johnny Alvaro had to say.
“That argument was with our Commander, Ari Judas, Conley’s best friend.” While chuckling he said “Hell, I don’t even remember what they were yelling and arguing back and forth about.” He calmed himself, and went on: “They both got really heated and angry. It’s hard to control your anger being overseas, doing what we do and having access to all the weapons. And that doesn’t justify what happened, but whatever they were arguing about got so bad that Ari Judas pulled out his pistol and shot Conley in the head.” He stopped and a gasp came out of everyone in attendance for the funeral. I was trying to wrap my head around this and understand the why factor, but I don’t think anyone understood why. I was looking around at what was now a crazy yelling match of a funeral. Everyone getting in their fair share of critique and hate towards Ari Judas. People even started to stand up and threaten this Commanding Officer of a Navy SEAL. All the tears and sorrow from before turned to hate. All this happening while Johnny Alvaro was still standing and waiting at the altar. It was as if he was still waiting to say or do something.
With everyone full of hate and violence now towards the man who took their hometown hero from this earth, Conley Walsh. The two biggest pallbearers began to go after Ari. One on each side of him, each holding an arm brought him in front of everyone and threw him down in between the people and the altar where Johnny was still standing. Ari wasn’t resisting, making it seem like he knew he was in the wrong and ready to accept the consequences. One of the pallbearers got a punch in across the face of Ari leaving him on his knees.
“ENOUGH!” everyone stopped what they were doing as they turned their attention to Johnny Alvaro to see this well respected Navy SEAL and friend of Conley Walsh was about to say and do.
“All of you here seem confused on what to do. Some of you still filled with sadness, others with hate, and even more looking for revenge. Let me lead and take action. I believe it’s called taking an eye for an eye.”
Johnny Alvaro stopped talking, stepped down from the altar, pulled out a pistol from his holster and shot Ari Judas square in the head.
Every time I look back and remember that funeral I try to feel sorry for Ari Judas but I don’t. Then those wise words from Mrs. Walsh creep back into my head. “Cherish every moment. You never know when the person you love most will be taken from you.” Even if it’s someone you learn to hate. You still had a good, long history with them. Don’t destroy someone’s memory because of one bad decision they may have made. All you can do is learn to forgive and treasure every moment before it’s too late and they’re gone forever.

I got the idea from the movie American Sniper and song You Should Be Here by Cole Swindell.