Mr. Unlucky | Teen Ink

Mr. Unlucky

March 14, 2016
By Emperor476 BRONZE, Atascadero, California
Emperor476 BRONZE, Atascadero, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The scent of freshly mowed grass filled the air as I sped my way across the pavement. I had taken this route day after day for the past four years now, but somehow today seemed different. I felt like a new man, or well boy in this case, and I was determined to make the most of it. The pale, green street sign marked “Jinx Ave.” came into my view. I had made up my mind and veered right, narrowly missing a rusted Subaru, and shot down the street. This was the street that Malory Price lived on, the girl I’ve had a crush on since moving here. I’ve never had the courage to tell her how I feel, but with this sudden rush of adrenaline coursing through me, the time has finally come. The people walking and the cars parked are a blur of color and noise while I weave my way through the street. Soon enough I see it, standing just a few yards away is Mallory with a group of friends. Suddenly, I feel a wave of uncertainty wash over me. What happens if I make a fool out of my self? Mallory’s friends will run back and report it to the whole school, maybe even the entire town! No, I came here to do one thing and one thing only, tell Malory my true feelings, and if I have to do it in front of her friends I will. Lost in thought I lose track of how fast I am going. I need to slow down or I will pass her right by. I pull back the brakes as hard as I can, and then as I squeal to a halt it happens. My front tire, under too much pressure from the sudden stop, decides to lift itself from my bike and onto the street below. While I am trying to process what is happening I realize that I have become airborne.The sky turns jet black and the ground a beautiful blue for just a second, then a thunderous crack is all I hear before everything goes black.
   I spring up from my bed in a tangle of sheets and sweat. There is a deep and painful throbbing resonating from the back of my head and I can’t seem to move my right leg. While I attempt to slither myself out of my bed, my parents rush into the room quicker than I’ve ever seen them move. I don't catch much of what they say, somethings about “being careful” and “how lucky I am”. With the backdrop of my parent’s lecture I am able to focus on the events of the day. I silently recant the happenings to myself, and with each memory unearthed, another layer of shame was added to my already bountiful coat. Wiping out in front of Malory, is there anything worse than that? Well, sadly there is, you see the problem that caused this tragic mishap was not something new to me. In fact, I had just repaired that same wheel yesterday afternoon. I had tested the bike so many times, and not one problem, but as soon as I am on the verge of taking a major step forward in life, it dies on me. I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised, things like this always happen to me. I’m the kind of guy that draws in “negative energy”, it’s been the same way my whole life. “Alan, are you even listening?”, my mother’s voice penetrates through my introspective journey. I quietly nod, prompting my mother to give an all too familiar defeated exhale and curtly leave the room while muttering a brusque “At least get some rest”. I may not have been listening to the whole spiel, but my mom is right about one thing, I need to get my rest because tomorrow is another day to make my dream a reality.