Early Surprise | Teen Ink

Early Surprise

By AbbyDob SILVER, Temperance, Michigan
AbbyDob SILVER, Temperance, Michigan

"Trust everyone, just don't trust the devil inside them." -The Italian Job

May 20th the day Johnny was born. He was even late back then, two days past his due date, at least that's how his parents always told the story. Fast forward 18 years and he was late, no surprise there, even with his mom’s nagging and yelling Johnny never could manage to be on time. So when he came barreling into the room that morning the teacher didn’t even bother with a tardy slip just a simple “You're late.” Mr. Z was always like that, straight and to the point, he was an extraordinary plain man, if something that boring could even be described as extraordinary. Mr. Z’s had the most average brown hair, tannish skin, and brown eyes possible. As Johnny took one last look around the room because in a couple short hours he would be done with all of this...
Marie, who sat to the left of Johnny, sat there tapping her glittery pencil as she eagerly awaited their last exam of high school. While Tom sat lounging in his chair behind Johnny’s not caring, everyone knew he was coming back for the summer anyways. In front of Johnny, Katie casually braided her bright blue hair, not caring if it got in his face. Deeply exhaling he dove into the test, the last key to freedom. Bubble after bubble, question after question Johnny slowly worked through the exam as the second hand drifted round and round. Then finally that moment came the last question, passing up the exam, and buzzing conversation…
The hallways filled pouring out the exit doors to the parking lot as excited seniors made plans to hang out and envious lower classmen walked to their next class. Johnny raced to his car, excited to go home and get ready to go hang out with his friends. Speeding home, he got changed out of his uniform, finally did something with his unruly hair, and took off to Bobby’s house. Cars lined the street as Johnny made his approach; obviously, Bobby had invited over more than just their usual group of friends. Looking at the clock Johnny saw he was on time for once in his life…
Bounding the steps to the door, Johnny could hear the murmur of people inside. Just as he knocked at the door, Bobby swung it wide open and then stopped frozen in utter shock. “Johnny!?!” he cried with building dismay, he didn't expect Johnny for another half an hour. The murmurs in the house quieted down and then began to build, Johnny was early for his own surprise party! Explaining it all Bobby brought Johnny in the house filled with half done decorations and all of Johnny’s friends. Yelling Bobby informed everyone “For once in his life this kid is on time!” The only response was laughs and cries of “Happy Birthday!”