Bye-Bye Bluebird | Teen Ink

Bye-Bye Bluebird

August 27, 2015
By ZeeTrine PLATINUM, DeMotte, Indiana
ZeeTrine PLATINUM, DeMotte, Indiana
25 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Train your mind, and your body will follow."


The cage which held the birds imprisonment for so long was now open, revealing the entire world with endless possibilities for the blue bird. It had been locked inside the cage its entire life. It was its home. It didn’t live the most prosperous of lives, but it was satisfactory enough for the bird that it lived contently with living the the cage. It wasn’t a large cage necessarily, but left room for brief flights between the various toys. Everything the bird ever needed was found in the cage, and now that it was open, it sat in the cage motionless, intimidated by the infinite freedom it so quickly obtained.
A short distance away from the cage was an open window, looking over a luscious green landscape. In a nearby tree, a small bit of blue could be seen between the branches. A song like none other the blue bird had heard before echoed across the land, and another bird flew onto the windowsill. It was the same beautiful blue as that of the caged bird. It sang out towards the cage, prompting the caged bird to leave its confines and join it in the open world.
The caged bird still sat motionless, as well as silent. It simply stared out at the bird on the windowsill through the open cage. No matter how much the bird on the windowsill called out, the caged bird wouldn’t budge. Eventually, the bird on the windowsill gave up its efforts and flew away. The caged bird was heartbroken by its inability to overcome the sense of overwhelming intimidation, but still could not collect itself enough to get anywhere near the open door.
It slowly walked away to the back corner of the cage and sat their in its own despair. It couldn’t eat. It couldn’t sleep. It couldn’t even turn around and face the open door. Instead, it just sat in the corner of the cage, sulking in disappointment. It wasn’t too long before the feeling lead to the bird’s demise, still facing the corner away from the door. The freedom was too much the bare.