8 months for this | Teen Ink

8 months for this

By gerardway DIAMOND, Brooklyn, New York
gerardway DIAMOND, Brooklyn, New York

But you and Leslie like to hold hands and jump off of cliffs together into the great unknown. You two have a good relationship. I don’t personally know what that’s like, but I am given to understand it means you’re gonna land on your feet.

- R.S.

You never really notice how small hands are until you’re holding one inside your own and you feel the indentations of tiny bones prickling against your palm. And you never really notice how big the universe is until you’re holding her hand for the very last time and you’re here in the moment, right next to her, but her mind is somewhere else, exploring the depths of life and its counterpart, and you wonder why your hands don’t work fast enough to pull her back in because it’s the last time, goddammit, and you miss the way her hands did all the talking and her eyes and smile held you just as much as her arms did.

And then there is nothing you can do anymore because she is too far gone, even though you can hear her breathing softly and her hand is still enclosed in yours, but her thoughts are not on you anymore. She is turning away from you, quicker than you thought someone could, and she disappears, left to be only a memory stamped on your mind, a concept that you loved but couldn’t show.
     You never really notice how lonely you are until you’re missing the touch of her hand within yours at 3 a.m.

on Jul. 15 2015 at 11:24 am
Whovian-Pegasister, Frazier's Bottom, West Virginia

"I am an always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams."--The Eleventh Doctor, Doctor Who, 'The Almost People'

This is a really pretty piece. I've been moved by this, and I'm sure you've moved others as well. Nice work.

on Jul. 15 2015 at 12:29 am
theblondechick GOLD, Kingsport, Tennessee

I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited.
-Sylvia Path

Wonderful pose. I loved the lines: "You never really notice how small hands are until you’re holding one inside your own and you feel the indentations of tiny bones prickling against your palm" and "you miss the way her hands did all the talking and her eyes and smile held you just as much as her arms did." Great piece. The loneliness you brought forth in it swamped me. You write with such an emotional rawness. And that last line! Beautiful.

lilycalla16 SILVER, Lisle, Illinois

"Freely we serve, Because we freely love, as in our will to love or not; in this we stand or fall."
-John Milton

Wow. I love how you wrote this... I'm relatively new to teenink but I think this might be one of the best pieces I've read so far. I'm really moved, (it doesn't hurt that I just watched a video about breaking up too) and I look forward to reading other pieces you submit!