Silence Cafe | Teen Ink

Silence Cafe

By ahheredia GOLD, Mexico City, Other
ahheredia GOLD, Mexico City, Other

Forever is composed of nows. -Emily Dickinson

The cafe was almost empty and only a few tables remained occupied, leaving the waiters some free time to just stare. Or clean. Or do whatever it is they wanted to do.
Right in the entrance, an old couple sat across each other, sipping their cups of coffee to avoid any uncomfortable silence. A young mother sat with her two children, not very far away from the old couple. She decided to give them her cell phone in order to avoid any fights and just get a little peace for herself after a hard day’s work. A few tables down, sat a family, both parents, a son and a daughter. No one was talking. They just looked at each other, as if they thought that by looking directly at their eyes, they would get any answers.
The room was filled with subtle murmurs and the noise of metal and glass coming together.
A twenty-year old girl entered, followed by her mother, and they sat right next to the silent family. Quickly, they ordered a cup of coffee each and a slice of apple pie to share since it was all there was left.
“Mom, I told you it was too late to come here.” The girl stirred her coffee vigorously, “I bet they made this coffee hours ago. I don’t even want to taste it.”
“I didn’t know where else we could go, Vanessa” She answered.
“Well,” Vanessa pushed her cup of coffee aside, “I’m not going to drink this.”
The peace and silence of the cafe was suddenly interrupted, and no one could resist to turn and see what the new customers were all about.
The waiter brought the slice of apple pie to the table, Vanessa had one bite and left her fork resting on the plate.
“I’m still not sure about what class I should pick for next semester,” She started, “I was thinking between 20th Century History, political science,  anthropology or sociology. I think I should take all of them at some point because my professor told me they would all help me for my career as a journalist,  but it all depends on the focus I want to give to my career you know?”
Her mother took a bite of pie and looked at her, “Well, you should pick whatever you think you will enjoy the most. Oh, I forgot to tell you about your cousin Marianne...”
“Yeah, but I think I will enjoy all of them. I already know a lot about history, so maybe it will be easier. I think the course concentrates a lot in the Cold War, and truly, I find it fascinating. Oh! I forgot to tell you, do you remember Isabella, my roommate? Well, she’s going on a cruise this summer with her family, and she told me she’s going to visit Russia! Isn’t that really cool? She showed me some pictures and it looks incredible, I really think we should go.”
“Yes, someday. But I don’t really think we will be able to do it this summer. Did I tell you about what happened in my job last week?”
“And you know what? I’m a little worried because Isabella has an uncle who also majored in journalism, but she told me he had a really hard time finding a steady job, so he ended up selling insurances. That was like twenty years ago, imagine how much harder it must be now. But I’ve always wanted to be a journalist, so I have to try, right?”
The old couple had already left, and the young mother was paying the bill. Vanessa’s mother had concentrated to look at the family sitting on the table next to her, and, as the rest of the cafe, wondered about their silence.
“Mom?”
Vanessa’s mother looked back at her.
“Mom, are you even listening?”
“Sure I am”
“Well,” She frowned, “What was I just talking about?”
Vanessa’s mother concentrated, “About your roommate going to visit Russia?”
“Oh my gosh mom,” She started to raise the volume of her voice, “You never listen, never. You just stare, and pretend to listen, but you never do. And, it's always been this way, ever since I can remember.”
All eyes were now on them. Every waiter stopped doing whatever he or she was doing and did their best to see what was going on. The two little kids looked away from their mother’s phone, and silence was finally broken within the family, as the daughter asked, “What’s going on?”
“At least I try”, Vanessa's mother answered.
“What do you mean?” She asked furiously.
Vanessa’s mother didn’t answer, and everyone in the cafe went back to minding their own business. The young mother and her two sons finally left, leaving the silent family and the now silent mother and daughter in the café.

Vanessa grabbed her cup of coffee, and took a sip.