Enigma | Teen Ink

Enigma

By wordtea GOLD, Delhi, Other
wordtea GOLD, Delhi, Other

'All men shall die.'- A Clash of Kings
'We accept the love we think we deserve.'- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
'Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are.'- The Book Thief

Not very long ago, I liked to think of myself as fragile. That I need somebody to pull me out of the depths I sink myself into was a thought I constantly gained pleasure from. I used to dream of living in a fairytale. I used to have faith in the supposedly evermore lasting of love. But time has taught me, and many others, that I’m not the person you fall in love with for a lifetime. I demand attention and I will be gone long before you realise that you should’ve given it to me. I’m not the sun you see everyday. I’m the yesterday’s beautiful sunrise you get to know about from your friend, making you regret a little for sleeping too much. I’m not the darkness in the night sky, but the entire night sky itself. It’s you who needs to be in the right place to see the parts of me you saw last night. I’m not flown by the wind or driven by the oceans. My roots go deep into the earth, deeper than you can fathom. No one understands me, and no one will. I’m an enigma. I’m an implausible path to a secret garden, and no one yet has found the way.

This is a very small excerpt from a book I was working on (last year, I suppose)

gladinorsk SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

"I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." Psalm 16:2

(I'm not clumsy. I just do random gravity checks...Yep, still works!)

This has an elegant opening sentence and intriguing imagery throughout. Great job! However, I found some of the sentences to be a bit rambling and awkward. I would suggest reading your story out loud to see what sounds natural and what doesn't. Hope that will help you improve what is already an interesting piece!

NymeriaWaters PLATINUM, Holland, Michigan

"We are all Worms, but I do believe I'm a glow worm"- Winston Churchill

This is a really beautiful excerpt that's very touching and easy to relate to. I love your use of metaphor and such to add such beauty and strength to your language. This is one of my favorite things that I've read on teen ink.