Away I Go to Embassy Row (Part 1) | Teen Ink

Away I Go to Embassy Row (Part 1)

By Mystery2000 SILVER, Weiser, Idaho
Mystery2000 SILVER, Weiser, Idaho

Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you
-Benjamin Franklin

My parents have always been super busy people. So, I was kinda used to being them not being around. I struggle a lot at school mostly because I don’t have many friends, in a matter of fact everybody ignores my existence. My name is  Madeline, I am 15 years old, and I am invisible. It didn’t take much to realize that I simply wasn’t there to… well… literally everybody, even my parents. The only escape I’ve ever get is when I lock myself in my room, thats where I draw. I express my feelings through drawing, I draw the places that I rather be or pictures of myself actually being happy. I wonder what place I would like to go next, maybe I could go to Hawaii again, or Fiji. By the time my mind stopped speaking it was 11:45 on a Saturday night. I set my worn out sketchbook on my old rotted  nightstand, and turned the lamp off. I heard the soft click of the lamp,my eyes fluttered like butterfly wings  and soon enough I was asleep. I woke up in a completely different room  it was huge, it was a little less than the size of my other house. I was laying on a bed made of a cloud. A total different kind of material from my usual brick that I sleep on. It was nice to have something nice for a change, but it wasn’t home.
“Miss. Yolis!!!”a woman with a british accent sang “Come down here for breakfast.” I sat straight up in the bed I was a confused about why I was still here. My feet touched the tile flooring, and I jerked them up because it was so cold.With clenched teeth I hopped off the bed and into the hallway. The hallway was huge it was lined with pictures of former presidents and some other scaring looking dudes. I walked down huge spiraling stairs, into a vast kitchen. I was greeted with friendly smiles from my parents and what I supposed was the woman who called me down to the table. I was almost immediately frightened by the awkward stares of my parents and whoever that freakin’ lady was. Something wasn’t right here, my parents were never home when I woke up let alone actually smile at me. A pop of grease from the pan on the stove made me jump. I had completely forgotten about the food that was cooking. I smelled bacon, eggs, pancakes, and other breakfast items.There was a feast fit for a king right in front of me on the table. The woman turned and went back to cooking after staring at me for another excruciating 2 minutes. She politely said:
“Have a seat Miss. Yolis.”
My father stood up, and pulled out the chair that was resting between them. I sat down still a little freaked out about the whole gesture.I realized that the oversized  T-shirt I was wearing, and my ripped skinny jeans had magically  turned into a pure white nightgown made of silk or something like that. My black hair went from a rats nest, to some exotic looking hairdo that I had never seen before. The food smelled great, when the woman placed it on the table I digged in. While stuffing my face with the best food I had ever eaten,I tuned out the rest of the world. I took a quick peek at the clock 8:20!
“Crap” I stood up my knee hitting under the table with a BANG!! As I hopped around the kitchen floor doing the dance of pain. Everyone went silent  you could hear a fly sneeze.
“Honey, my mother asked. Her voice sounded amazing to hear since she rarely ever talked to me. “ Are you okay, What is wrong”

“Uh...Im uh ow…. late for school” I said still in pain

“Are you feeling okay honey” my father asked.

“Uh… ya I’m feeling fine why do you ask?”

“Because, you are homeschooled Miss Yolis” The person who by now I know was the maid.
“Umm… I am sorry, but what is your name again” I asked hesitant for what reaction she would give me.

“It is okay, all children forget” she said “I’m Miss.Higgenhyde”

“ That Right” I replied trying to sound like I remembered her. “ I have 1 more question”

“What is it honey” Mother asked.

“Where am I” I wanted to know.

It turns out we had moved to Embassy Row 3 years ago. My dad actually told me that he was a diplomat. Moving here gave them a realization that they actually had a life to take care of, and the started to notice  me.
*Couple Hours Later*
I woke up to same sound the annoying beep of my alarm clock. I got out of bed in my pitch black room. My feet touched the shag carpet, and that was when I knew all that Embassy Row stuff was just an amazing dream. I never was homeschooled, and my parents never talked to me, I walked downstairs and was greeted with the emptiness of a kitchen table, and a note from my parents:
Dear Madeline,
your father got a new job, and we left to Washington DC last night don’t know when we will be back,
Love you,
Mom and Dad
P.S we left you $650 for food and any other things you need
I crumpled the note,  threw it in the trash and went to the bus stop.