The Bitter Truth | Teen Ink

The Bitter Truth

April 30, 2015
By Bookieanwesha BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
Bookieanwesha BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Jane and Austin are best friends . And their live is very boring and uneventful until one night something goes wrong.Jane is kidnapped.But by whom ?Nobody knows.

Chapter 1: JANE AND AUSTIN

''Hurry up Jane!'' a short, pudgy and hardly fifteen year old boy shouted from Jane Mayer's living room.
''Just a sec,''came the sweetest voice of the whole town.Yep, that's right.Jane was the best singer in the little town of Meker ,a small town in Making near the beautiful island of Mauritius . Austin sighed .It was the same story everyday. Jane was very disciplined in that manner(which was highly appreciated by his mother).His job was to wait down in the hall.He usually spent his time talking to June,Jane's elder sister or their caretaker,Finny.Jane would come down exactly after five minutes gulp down her juice,kiss her sister goodbye,pick up her lunch and run out of the house dragging her best friend, Austin Rock behind her.Then they walked to school sharing informations they had collected the previous day.
''Hello day-dreamer,''June's voice cut off Austin's string of thoughts.He turned to see her coming towards him with a pleasant smile.She was exactly like an older sister to him.Unknown to anybody Austin had a tiny crush on June when he was very small.As she arrived and punched him lightly in the arm he suddenly felt very safe.June and Jane had the amazing ability to become the most beautiful young ladies of the town and also make people feel comfortable and safe around them.A new boy in their class had unknowingly almost proposed to Jane.
''So what were u thinking, MR.THINKER.''
''Nothing, ''Austin mumbled. But before June could say another word,Jane came down saying ,''Good Morning ,everyone.''
''Hello, Miss,''Finny said coming out of the kitchen carrying Jane's lunch.
Jane took her lunch thanked Finny and turning to Austin said, ''So you ready for today. ''Thus saying she dragged him out of the house.

Chapter 2: I...I DON'T

I couldn't believe my ears
''I knew you would forget,''Jane said giggling. How could she? Here I was about to confront a big problem and all she Did was giggle.
''Stop laughing and help me out.What do I do?''I asked hardly expecting a serious answer.
Today was our Maths test and I had studied english the whole night.Now Miss Laura would surely make fun of me. Miss Laura our Maths teacher was a very friendly yet strict teacher.She is also a very sarcastic woman.
P.S.-I speak from experience.The last time I fell prey to her sarcasm,it had been a nightmare and my friends still tease me about that although it was almost a year ago.Also Maths is not my very favourite subject.Still I decided to be brave and face her SWEET temper.By the time we reached,everybody was in class .I took my seat in the middle row next to Jane.Prayers flowed from my mind like water and I kept wishing(in vain) that for some reason Miss Laura should not come.The morning bell rang and we got ready with our books out.I knew that the teacher would arrive any moment.
I looked at my watch.A new hope came up.Miss Laura is never late .What if she doesn't arrive? Five minutes....ten minutes....
Now as I was about to thank god for this sudden change of events,the door opened and the Headmaster walked in.Now instead of being happy I felt really worried.Had I done something wrong?Will the Headmaster punish me for not studing for the test?
''Shhh...,'' I told myself. ''How will the headmaster know whether you have studied or not.He won't punish you.Grow up and listen to him.''
The Headmaster had a grim expression on his face which usually did not mean good.Addressing the class he asked ,''Is this 10th A?''Everybody nooded.
''Who is Austin Rock?'' I felt my whole body becoming cold.Somebody pointed me out .Seeing no other way out,I stood up.For some reason the Headmaster's look softened.Just a bit.
''Do you know Miss Mayer?'' he asked.Somebody in the back sniggered.I could see a few girls giggling.I nodded and looked beside me and fond that Jane was not in her seat.
''Do you know where she is right now?''My heart beat accelarated.
''I...I don't....,'' I stammered feeling worried as to what might have happened to Jane.
''Follow me!''and with that the headmaster walked out of the door.

Chapter 3: A BAD DREAM

Austin followed the headmaster thinking this was like a nightmare.
''I can't believe this is happening, ''he mumbled to himself. The headmaster suddenly spun around and asked, ''What did u say? ''
Oddly enough it seemed like his mother's voice .Then he realized it was a nightmare.But the strangest thing was that Austin couldn't wake up from the dream. He watched as the headmaster came upto where he stood and started shaking him and shouting, ''GET UP!!!''
Austin woke up with a start and realized that he was still in the bed with his mother shaking him to wake up.She looked anxious and asked ''Did you see a bad dream?''
All I could do was stare at her. I was speechless. The dream had been so lifelike. I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong. He explained his dream to her.To his horror, his mother's expression clearly showed something which he hadn't seen since he was six.
''Do not ignore the dreams, dear. They are signs for you .They are meant to guide you,'' And with that happy note she left him pondering over her enthusiastic speech.
Meanwhile in the house located just across the street, a beautiful young lady of about sixteen was anxiously pacing in the large hall.Suddenly she sees a movement from the corner of her eye.
''Who's it?'' she asked in a trembling voice.To her great relief the caretaker peeled out asking, ''Is there a problem, miss? ''
''Oh...no .It's nothing, ''June replied.
''Miss you hiding something? , '' Finny asked anxiously .
Finally June confided.
''What??? Miss Jane is missing and you have informed no one? ''
''Finny she could be anywhere.May be she must have gone to a Friend's house to collect some notes. ''
''Miss did you ask Austin? ''
''No but that's a good idea. Prepare the breakfast and I'll go ask him.''
June rushes to her room to freshen up.Suddenly the phone rings.
''Miss I'll get it, ''Finny shouted and picked up the phone.
''Hello, The Mayers.How may I help you? ''
Silence.
''Was it Jane, Finny? ''came June's muffled voice from upstairs.
''No miss.Might be a wrong number, '' Saying so she went back to work.
Fifteen minutes later,June came down, took the house keys and was about to leave the house when the phone rang again. As she picked it up she heard a grinding sound on the other side but no one spoke and the line went dead.

Chapter 4: WHERE AM I???

Jane woke up wondering exactly this. Where was she?
The last thing she remembered was going to bed cheerfully after a hectic Friday. But when she woke up she was crammed in a casket with just small pores on the lid to breath. She tried to scream. But no voice came. She was tied up. Suddenly she heard voices.
They were coming towards her.She knew time was of essence. So she closed her eyes and remained still as if unconscious.
''But you said the effect of the medicine would wear out within two days.It has been three days and she is still not awake,''said the voice of the woman.
''Moi I know ,'' It was a man who seemed to be very frustrated and deeply troubled. ''Even I cannot understand. But you know HER. She will...''
''Oh God! Why do you even have to listen to her? ''
''Moi I have my own reasons, ''saying thus the man went away and the woman followed after a long troubled sigh. After that the surrounding became silent giving Jane time to figure out her surroundings. She could recognise the acent as Asian but could not be sure.
Many questions roused within her.How did she reach Asia?Why had she been kidnapped? And most important of all where was her sister?
It was difficult for her to concentrate properly as her head was throbbing but she knew she would have a hard time getting out of there as she had never visited Asia and hardly knew anything about the place. Whoever had taken her hostage though seemed to be unhappy with his boss. If only Jane could bring them to her side.
Grrrr....Grrrr....
What was that? Jane just had enough time to think about it before she felt the room being lifted.

Chapter 5:This is not True

''This is not true,''Austin shouted at the top of his voice.Jane sat in front of him,crying.How could she?Austin's mother too was in the room trying to console June and assuring that Jane would be back home soon.
Austin was lost in his own thoughts. he felt two drops of tear roll down his cheeks.June was accusing him of knowing about Jane's kidnap beforehand .She would not listen to anything he said. An hour had passed since June had come to his house.He was helping his mother, prepare breakfast when the doorbell rang. His mother went to check and returned with June.June came over to him directly not caring to hide her sadness with her usual smile.
''Where is Jane? ''she asked.
''What do you mean?'' was all I could say.
''I mean that you are her best friend and you are supposed to know where she could be because she has been missing since morning, '' June almost screamed at me.
''Austin just had a dream of her this morning, didn't you son? '' It was my turn to fume at my mother because she just made things complicated for me.
''It was just a dream mother!!! ''I shouted. But by now June was sobbing uncontrollably and my mother was trying to calm her  down. What had gotten into their heads?Why does a silly dream matter so much to them?What surprised him most was the fact that his mother a professional doctor herself wad believing in such nonsense. Suddenly he heard his mother telling him to go to his room. This felt surprising but Austin obeyed. But on reaching his room, he silently switched on the cordless phone which he had turned on on his way up.Now he would be able to hear their conversations. But they were not talking. They were sobbing, both of them .He sat waiting for themto speak.Five minutes passed and as Austin was about to give up,he heard June.''I miss them,  Mrs Rock. I wish they were here.''
''I know, dear. But what they did was for your own good.Their death was meant to be the beginning ''
This sent a chill down Austin's back as he understood who they were talking about. 'No Way' was all he could  think. This was worse than a nightmare.

Chapter 6:Making Friends

''So Jane,tell us about Austin!!! ''Moi asked. She and Jane had become quiet close friends in the short span of two hours. Moi assured her that the shaking was due to the movement of the ship. They were in a cruise and heading for Singapore where they would meet the Lady who had got her kidnapped.She had been assured that all her queries would be cleared by her as Moi had refused t answer any of her questions. To avoid suspicion she had been hidden in the cargo at first but later on when she gained her consciousness,she was brought up to the room.She was given a large room on deck 5 with the number 5071.Moi had the adjoining room.The two girls were sitting on Jane's bed and were sharing informations about themselves . The other one, Nyet however had not spoken yet and seemed troubled with the fact that Moi had befriended their hostage.
''Why do you wish to know about him?''Jane asked slyly.
''Well for starters,you did let his name slip twice.So...''
''So what?''Nyet shouted from the other room. Both the girls cracked up laughing with the lone boy wondering what had gone wrong. He didn't know why he said that but still it didn't seem right that Moi would inquire about other males. Nyet himself had mixed feelings about her.Mostly he stuck to friendship but in difficult times she would get very caring, just like a sister. On the other side the discussions had drowned and the girls had started talking in whispers. Moi was blushing so hard that her cheeks had turned bright red.She had always liked Nyet but had never mentioned openly.She liked being his companion.
Just then there was a loud knock on the door,''HOUSEKEEPING''.
Nyet went to open the door and a tiny girl ran into the room. Nyet just had time to look up before a slender but muscular arm pushed him inside and closed the door with a bang .
''Surprise!!!'' said the tall figure just as Moi  and Jane rushed in to see Nyet looking at the slender, Asian lady wide-eyed in surprise.