Beware of Eagles | Teen Ink

Beware of Eagles

By SandraNair GOLD, Trivandrum,Kerala, Other
SandraNair GOLD, Trivandrum,Kerala, Other

"One Child,One teacher,One book and one pen can change the world"- Didi(Malala Yousafzai).

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow,learn as if you were to live forever"
- Mahatma Gandhi

Geethanjali was a counselor as well as the mother of a thirteen year old girl, Tanishka. On the first day of Tanishka's teenage, that's on her thirteenth birthday, instead of wishing "Happy Birthday", the first thing Geethanjali did was- advising her daughter. She told her daughter to behave properly as a teen. She advised Tanishka, "Daughter, as a teenager you responsibilities has increased. And as you're a girl your duties has doubled and you've to be really careful. You should mingle only with people you know well and never talk to strangers. Try your maximum to avoid a single chance you get to smile at unknowing faces." Tanishka nodded at her mother's advice.

In a couple of months this happened. While her parents were away, Tanishka opened the door for her neighbour. But the neighbour was an evil man that he kidnapped her, though she tried to escape.

In the evening, when her parents returned, they were shocked. Geethanjali broke out in tears and they informed the police. Though the police found Tanishka and poisoned the neighbour, Tanishka's hard hours were not yet over. Her mother scolded her for her foolish behaviour. Hearing this, Tanishka's father who had been hearing all those things that had occurred, calmly said to Geethanjali, " Do you remember your constant advises? You advised her but in the way it should be. You told our daughter to mingle with people she knew well. But you would've asked her with people she knew very well. And it's not a mistake to just give a smile at strangers. Do you know that a jasmine and a Venus flytrap have scent, very nice fragrance. Like the pure smell of jasmine , it is also pure and will never harm you. On the other hand, the Venus flytrap also produces sweet scent but the smell is produced to attract insects towards it, thereby paving the way to eat it. Similarly, you'll find people coming towards you with smiling faces. You would've taught our child to pick out the jasmine and flytrap from them. That's where you went wrong.

The kidnap and the father's words were both helpful to Tanishka as well as her mother. Geethanjali understood that her counseling might have not helped her clients to warm up and therefore, she improved herself.