Alone | Teen Ink

Alone

By Hannahlexandra8 GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
Hannahlexandra8 GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida

She was alone.
The trees around her shook in the wind, and she could hear the sirens going off around her... but she didn’t care. People rushed by her in groups every minute or so, the lapse of time between them getting longer and longer as time went by. Every few groups one person would take the time to pause and shout “hurry up and climb the hill!” But she brushed them off.
She was alone.
She could see the tide from where she sat, slowly making its way back, and back, and back, as if it were afraid of the coast. Seaweed and drift wood and flopping fish remained on the shore, not sure of what was happening. But she knew.
She was alone.
After a while, there were no more people rushing past her. She listened to the world around her. There was a siren going off, blaring. There was the sound of wind shaking the leaves on the trees, and slamming doors that were left open in a frantic last minute escape. She heard seagulls screeching, and dogs barking from somewhere up the hill. She made no effort to join them.
She was alone.
She thought quietly to herself as she saw the surge of water coming towards her with a momentum that was increasing rapidly. Normal people were born into a room with friends and family waiting nearby. They were born into a community with people who wanted to love them. They never knew what it was like to be scared, or alone. She was born to a woman, at the bottom of a staircase, who was more upset because she was coming down from a high than the fact that she was in labor, in fact, the baby she had given birth to did not matter to her at all.  Her mother had left her at the bottom of the staircase and walked away to a place where she could return to her high. Someone found her, and turned her in. She grew up in an orphanage where no one asked how her day was. She taught herself her multiplication tables. The water, now, was a few yards away. In a matter of seconds it was at her feet, and then her knees, and then her neck, and then over her head. She held on to the bench below her.
She was alone.
She was born to no one, loved by no one, and as she used her last crushing breath to laugh, she thought how interesting it was that the people who were born into loving arms, died in the same fashion, and she, in her final moments...
She was alone.

BananaBriana GOLD, Bunker Hill, West Virginia

"Why assume that to look is to see?" ~Piccasso

Wow, I just love this. It really emphasizes how horrible people can be, especially with drugs almost everywhere. I loved how you wrote it, and how it ended. I look forward to reading more stories of your composure.