Death Wishes | Teen Ink

Death Wishes

February 25, 2015
By BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other
BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other
10 articles 0 photos 161 comments

Favorite Quote:
Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect


"Let us go then, you and I"
"Stop quoting those silly poems"  You'll say
I'll ignore you, of course "When the evening is spread out against the sky"

Take my hand, and we'll run. Far, far away from these bare white walls, these pale blue drapes.  Turn away from these impassive faces, these sympathetic smiles.
Honey, I've just about had it with them.
Why not visit a place where people are naked?
Oh, get your head out of the gutter.
The other kind of naked. The one that is almost impossible to achieve these days. Naked emotions, words stripped of diplomacy, vulnerability on the faces and their hearts on their sleeves.  I ache for a simpler world, don’t you?
Don't scoff, sweetheart.  It breaks my heart.
No? Too soon to joke about it? 
I'm sorry.

Take my hand, and we'll run. Far, far away from here.
Don't ask where. I can't answer, because I don't know.
I've never been the one to make plans, anyway.
Let's just pack a bag and...
"Well, woolens or shorts ? Raincoats or suncream? "
Oh shut up, my love.
Grab anything you have and let's make a break for it.
Kiss me under a sky lit by a million stars in Chile. Let’s take a boat to Lebanon, you always had a fondness for their food.  Argue about the shape of the clouds in a meadow. Tell me how beautiful I look in a Kimono. I dare you to eat a pig's ear in that Chinese market place. Let's have a Vegas wedding!
"We are married"
Let me talk, silly. Where was I?
Oh, yes. Feel the cool breeze of an Irish morning and brush my hair back from my face. I’ll hold your hand kiss your fingers.  Sink your toes next to mine in the white sand of the Greek beaches. Share a cup of coffee with me in that Italian café.
"I thought it was Costa Rica that was famous for coffee? Anyway, it is impossible to get visas in and out of China"
"Hold me as we tumble drunkenly over the cobblestone roads in Paris. Aren't the French famous for their drinking?"
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"
Hush, darling. What place does logic have in fantasies?  I'd much rather dream my dreams than think up ways to destroy them.
I'm dying, love. I'm dying to do something impulsive again.
So, just for me, please, throw caution (and your clothes) to the wind and jump in a frozen lake in Sweden. Let's swim the Channel! Can you really float in the Dead Sea?
We never did do anything all our lives.
"Okay, if you say so. Let me go to the currency exchange place first"
I sigh.
Darling, listen to me! Dance with me in Ibiza. Jump off towers in Dubai. How about becoming Yogis in India? Take a safari in Kenya. Let's get lost in the Alaskan wilderness. Go and play games with the kids in Jamaica.
"Sounds dangerous.  Shouldn't we get vaccinations first?"
You're impossible. 
Honey, we could live like fugitives and never look back. Take a lesson from the gypsies and the hippies.
No? You are not convinced yet? Still dubious? Still?

 

Let us go then, you and I
The evening is already spread out against the sky
And I am the patient etherized upon a table
Let us go then, you and I
For we do not have time left anymore for indecisions and revisions.

My everything, fulfill a dying woman's wishes.


The author's comments:

Poetic refrence: Prufrock