Death Wishes | Teen Ink

Death Wishes

By BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other
BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

"Let us go then, you and I"
"Stop quoting those silly poems"  You'll say
I'll ignore you, of course "When the evening is spread out against the sky"

Take my hand, and we'll run. Far, far away from these bare white walls, these pale blue drapes.  Turn away from these impassive faces, these sympathetic smiles.
Honey, I've just about had it with them.
Why not visit a place where people are naked?
Oh, get your head out of the gutter.
The other kind of naked. The one that is almost impossible to achieve these days. Naked emotions, words stripped of diplomacy, vulnerability on the faces and their hearts on their sleeves.  I ache for a simpler world, don’t you?
Don't scoff, sweetheart.  It breaks my heart.
No? Too soon to joke about it? 
I'm sorry.

Take my hand, and we'll run. Far, far away from here.
Don't ask where. I can't answer, because I don't know.
I've never been the one to make plans, anyway.
Let's just pack a bag and...
"Well, woolens or shorts ? Raincoats or suncream? "
Oh shut up, my love.
Grab anything you have and let's make a break for it.
Kiss me under a sky lit by a million stars in Chile. Let’s take a boat to Lebanon, you always had a fondness for their food.  Argue about the shape of the clouds in a meadow. Tell me how beautiful I look in a Kimono. I dare you to eat a pig's ear in that Chinese market place. Let's have a Vegas wedding!
"We are married"
Let me talk, silly. Where was I?
Oh, yes. Feel the cool breeze of an Irish morning and brush my hair back from my face. I’ll hold your hand kiss your fingers.  Sink your toes next to mine in the white sand of the Greek beaches. Share a cup of coffee with me in that Italian café.
"I thought it was Costa Rica that was famous for coffee? Anyway, it is impossible to get visas in and out of China"
"Hold me as we tumble drunkenly over the cobblestone roads in Paris. Aren't the French famous for their drinking?"
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"
Hush, darling. What place does logic have in fantasies?  I'd much rather dream my dreams than think up ways to destroy them.
I'm dying, love. I'm dying to do something impulsive again.
So, just for me, please, throw caution (and your clothes) to the wind and jump in a frozen lake in Sweden. Let's swim the Channel! Can you really float in the Dead Sea?
We never did do anything all our lives.
"Okay, if you say so. Let me go to the currency exchange place first"
I sigh.
Darling, listen to me! Dance with me in Ibiza. Jump off towers in Dubai. How about becoming Yogis in India? Take a safari in Kenya. Let's get lost in the Alaskan wilderness. Go and play games with the kids in Jamaica.
"Sounds dangerous.  Shouldn't we get vaccinations first?"
You're impossible. 
Honey, we could live like fugitives and never look back. Take a lesson from the gypsies and the hippies.
No? You are not convinced yet? Still dubious? Still?

Let us go then, you and I
The evening is already spread out against the sky
And I am the patient etherized upon a table
Let us go then, you and I
For we do not have time left anymore for indecisions and revisions.

My everything, fulfill a dying woman's wishes.

Poetic refrence: Prufrock

BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

God, I love you for such a lovely comment. Sorry it took me so long to respond though, I had my exams. And you're right. I ought to proofread my pieces more. It's just that I get so excited when I finish anything that I HAVE to submit it right then . Lame excuse, I know.
Keep writing, I'll be checking up on you :)

BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

Beila BRONZE said...
on Mar. 4 2015 at 1:07 am
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

I have chills running up and down my arms. I don't even know where to start.... Well, I had never read the entirety of Prufrock before, so thank you for directing me to that piece of great poetry; it's beautiful. And thank you a second time for directing me to this piece of great poetry. Your poetic influence shines through. You mastered the tone, the style, the gentle peace and yet pressing urgency to do something wonderful and magical and perhaps ever so slightly insane. The last stanza, where you reworked T. S. Eliot's words to fit your own piece, and the final line you added... striking. That is all I can think to say. It's surreal; you took a classic and subtly tinkered with it to create a whole new layer of meaning. My suggestions to you, however, are to proofread more carefully and to differentiate more clearly between the two speakers. I had to read through a few parts twice to understand who was talking because your use of quotation marks wasn't consistent throughout. However, once I got it, I read through the whole thing altogether, and as I said, you gave me chills. This is something altogether beyond the realm of "normal." In a way, I feel like it's untouchable. For Heaven's sake, am I still raving about this piece? ;) Sorry, I'm just struggling to convey the beauty and peace and longing and grief that have hit me all at once. Thank you so much.

Starakk SILVER said...
on Mar. 3 2015 at 2:24 am
Starakk SILVER, Nowhere, Other
Just one word-SUPERB