Three Things | Teen Ink

Three Things

By MakMill BRONZE, Orinda, California
MakMill BRONZE, Orinda, California

"Contrary to the popular bumper-sticker, it's not enough to question authority; You have to speak with it too." -Taylor Mali

There are three thing I’ve learned are vital to life.
And life is happiness. A happiness-less life is hardly living but death of the soul. And the soul is much more beautiful than it's container.
The first thing is that confidence is handed to us as we are born.
Some are stripped of it quickly and others are drowning in it to a point that kills their confidence until it turns into something much more ugly. A monsterous ego eating away at once was.
As we become less ignorant to the world, we are told things so often we start to believe them and our confidence is stripped off of us. Peeled like clothing off the skin and left bare. Confidence is something worth hunting for. Gun in hand, hunting for. Confidence is you. Its bravery to live as you and not read of the lines from the script they feed you. Confidence is something worth waving in the air like a flag or something that kisses the shore, leaves and always returns.
The second is love. They’ll tell you all about it. When you’re little they’ll tell you how great it is. That Cinderellas and Prince Charmings are always located at the nearest castle. They will tell you that they love you. There is no gray in love. There is black and white. There are people that will say that they love you.  There are times love may seem you capture you. But love is not some easy s***. It's not dirty and it’s not perfect. It's fractured and only comes to those who truly wish for it enough to wait.
The nice thing about love is that it’s spreadable. Like honeybees and pollen spreading the littlest bit of love can change a life. Love is also curable. Sometimes it finds one and not the other, but there will always be enough love elsewhere to pick up the pieces. And if that continues to be not enough, there’s enough chocolate to bandaide your heart to keep the blood from oozing.
The third thing is gratefulness. Take nothing for granted. And it's cliché because it needs to be. Take nothing for granted. Being grateful for what you have is extremely important. That way you will forever be compassionate to others who do not have the greener grass that you have. Lemons are sour but you’re damn lucky to have them. Be grateful to have loved to have life and to have lived as yourself.

These were the things I decided in that moment were the most important things to say. As a great author Stephen King once said, "the most important things are the hardest to say." Therefore, I don't know if i will ever be done expressing the importance of these and possibly more things I value in my life.