Connections | Teen Ink

Connections

By J.Dawson GOLD, Connersville, Indiana
J.Dawson GOLD, Connersville, Indiana

"I love you. You hurt me again and again, but I love you"-Reality Bites

“Help.”

The word launches itself against the back of my teeth and I swallow it quickly before it escapes into reality.

There is a moment of silence while I regain control. Again, the word hurls itself from the back of my throat and I make an “O” shape with my mouth, stunned at what is happening.

Excusing myself from their presence, my legs carry me to the bathroom and my hands make sure to lock the door behind me. I splash cool beads of water onto my face and stare at my reflection in the mirror. This is not the time to lose it. I can see her smiling at me with the same tainted thoughts. I smile back and dry my face.

When I unlock the door, they are sitting on the couch and I can tell that the alcohol has started to affect me because they sway from side to side. I look at Chelsea first. Her easy smile shines in my direction and I move my eyes over to Jessica who is fiddling with the bottle cap from her beer.

In that moment, I suppose that I was trying not to look at Cassie. The events played in my head of how I was going to let the week turn out. How I thought it would be didn't matter. With Cassie there, life made its own rules.

Finally I turn my head ever so slightly to her sitting on the edge of the couch with a beer in one hand and iPod in the other. Her blue eyes are set on my face and I realize something. She had the same look.

“Help.”

She swallowed the silent plea and pressed the beer bottle to her lips.