The Reunion | Teen Ink

The Reunion

January 15, 2015
By Caterina12 BRONZE, Penntownship, Pennsylvania
Caterina12 BRONZE, Penntownship, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
'Before you laugh at someone, walk two mile in thier shoes. That way, you won't only be far away, you will also have thier shoes!"


Private Investigator Darla Williams stared at the window at the people passing. Her iced mocha sat untouched in front of her, despite the hot nature of the day. Wringing her hands nervously, she remindeded herself why she was doing this.

Her Client, Jacob, wasn't  even aware that he was her Client. He had beens suffering for years, and Darla knew that Martina Lambert held the key to letting all that pain go. Jacob refused to come, saying he was fine, but as close as she was to him, Darla knew for a fact that he needed this. THey had know eachother for to many years for him to be able to lie to her

Glancing at her phone once more at the time, she nervously stuffed it back into her satchel. Inside, six diffrent folders containing her recent cases sat, untouched though since the day she got her first lead on Martina.

In a fit of anxiety, darla Readjusted her black fedora, and smoothed her braid. Fiddling with a piece of borwn hair that fell in her eyes, she bit her lip. Normally as a private investigator for three years, she wouldn't meet the people she was supposed to be investigating. But htis time... it was diffrent.

"Detective Williams?" Suddenly not able to breath, Darla looked up into a pair of brilliant green eyes, wizened beyond thier age. martina Lambert's hair hung lose around her shoulder, the color so dark brown it was almost black.

"Hello." Darla said, steeling her nerves. "Please sit. Would you like anything to drink?" Martina shook her head and stared at her lap. Suddenly, she burst out "Detective, you said you found something about my babies. Please, Tell me." Darla nodded and took a short sip of her drink to calm her nerves before speaking. "As you know, twenty one years ago exactly, you gave up two children for adoption; a set of twins."

Martina nodded, tears sas the memories filled her. "It was the hardest descision I ever had to make." Darla continued, careful to keep a mask on. "I am here to speak to you about you son." Reaching into the pocket of her satchel, she pulled out a picture of a young man with gray-blue eyes, and hair the same color as Martina's. Handing her the picture, Darla could almost read what Martina was thinking; it was the first time in years since she saw him, and she was proud even though she never met him.

"Jacob has felt a sense of abandonment, a feeling like he was unwanted since he was a child. His twin believes that if he were to meet you as a friend, then find out who you were, he woudl come to terms with you better, thus erasing his doubt." Martina let a tear slip down her cheek as she said "I loved my babies. I had no choice. I would do anything to help them."

She looked up into Darla's eyes and said "Did thier parents tell them that?" "No, no of course not." Darla stuttered. "They told them everytinh that they knew, including that you loved them. In fact, the other still has your blanket and letter you sent along with them."

A smile broke thorugh, revealing a dimple at the base of Martina's cheek. "Do you know if she wants to meet me? I mean, Jaocb's sister... whats her name?"

Taking a deep breaht, Darla paused in fear, then continued. "She has wanted to meet you since the day thier parents told them they were adopted. And you have already met her."

Martina's face fadded into a conufsed look, and darla smiled, revealing an identical dimple to that of Martina's. "Martina Lambert?" Darla said quitly, pushing up her glasses so they weree right in front of her brilliant green eyes. "hi. Jacob Williams, you son, is my tiwn brother. I'm you daughter, Darla."


The author's comments:

My twin brother and I were adopted asd babies. I have always dreamed of meeting her; however, my brother is very unsure about it all. The beginning of this came to me while half asleep in the car. I loved the idea, and worked with it until I was something I liked.