The Unmarked Grave | Teen Ink

The Unmarked Grave

By Morgan_pauley SILVER, Dunkirk, Ohio
Morgan_pauley SILVER, Dunkirk, Ohio

The question's not who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

I was only ten when my parents died. After their death, I became very depressed. I barely spoke. I spent a lot of time in the graveyard with my parent’s graves. I felt like they were my only friends and now they’re gone. I felt that if I would not go to the graveyard I would forget about them.

I was never good at making friends. The only friend I ever had was in first grade and he picked his nose everyday. We weren't friends for long. I was always bullied in school for being weird. I hated going to school, but I always looked forward to going home to my mom and dad.

I now live with my grandma and it is awful. She pays no attention to me. I would starve if I didn't feed myself. I visit the cemetery at least twice a day. Once before school and once after school. Sometimes I skip school and spend the whole day at the cemetery.

I am skipping school today to go to the cemetery. I decide to walk there it is on the other side of town, but I live in a very small town. I run to the cemetery as fast as I can so I don’t get caught.

I walk straight to the back where my mom and dad are buried side by side. I sit down next to the stone and I tell them about everything that has happened to me. After a while I look to the left and see a new grave. I walk to it and look to see the name on the stone, but there is nothing on it. Usually it at least has a name on it.
I study the stone and decide to find out who it is. I start to walk away and I hear my name. I turn around, but no one was there.

“Emily!” I hear a voice shout. I am starting to freak out. I start to run out of the cemetery and I hear my name get shouted a lot more times before I am out. I wonder whose voice was saying my name. It wasn't my mom or dad’s voice. It was male and really deep. It was kind of creepy.

I start to do research on the grave next to my parents. I asked everyone if anyone in town died recently. Everyone I asked said they didn't think anyone has died. I’m starting to wonder if anyone was buried there. I am about to give up on looking for this person.

“Emily!” my grandma yelled.
“What Grandma?” i asked back.
“I don’t want to tell you this, but your uncle Matt died a week ago,” she told me.
“Where did they bury him?” I ask, thinking that it might be the unmarked grave.
“I the cemetery next to your mom and dad,” she said.
I run out the door to the cemetery. I get to the cemetery and see my cousin next to his father’s grave. I walk up behind him and give him a hug.
“I’m sorry about your dad Jake,” I tell him.
“Yeah, how come you ran when I tried to talk to you the other day?” He asks.
“I didn't know it was you,” I tell him.

We stop talking and we stood there, both missing at least one of our parents. I start to cry and so does Jake. He can be my one friend.