The Accident | Teen Ink

The Accident

By _tanyagrace BRONZE, Matthews, North Carolina
_tanyagrace BRONZE, Matthews, North Carolina

"Keep your head up princess, your tiara is falling"

“You are the luckiest girl I know. I mean you are dating the quarterback of the football team. He is beautiful and you guys are just perfect I am so happy you have him.” Allie said squeezing me tight. I smiled at her. She was right; I had the best boyfriend in the whole entire world. Ryan Ellis was perfection and he was mine. We have been dating 10 months now and I am as happy as can be. Nothing can come between us. I am blessed to have him.

The doorbell rang so I ran to the door. He was there. His beautiful green eyes glaring into mine. “You didn’t think I was going to come did you?”  I jumped into his arms and hugged him very tight. We went up to my room. He showered me with kisses. “ I can’t stay long I got somewhere to be after this.” He said putting his hand on my knee. “Where?” I asked puzzled. “Oh I am just meeting up with the guys tonight going to a party nothing bad.” Ugh for real? A party? Should I be worried? No, he is smart he knows not to do anything stupid.  “Baby, you can’t do anything bad okay? I love you too much to let anything happen.” I said with worry in my voice. He leaned in and kissed my head. “I promise you nothing will happen.” He said. “Pinky promise?” I asked holding my pinky out. He laughed “Pinky promise”

He grabbed the remote and we watched some stupid show about big foot. Around 5 he told me he had to go. I kissed him goodbye. That night I could not stop worrying, so I texted him.  “Hey Baby I hope you are having fun I miss you. What are you doing?” I sent it at 7:06 and he opened it at 9:14 but did not respond.  I decided I would call his friend John. He answered right away. The background was so loud I could hardly hear what he was saying. “ John where are y’all?” I asked trying not to panic. “Aye everything is good were at Matt’s party. I don’t know where Ryan is but I am sure he is just fine.” He tried to reassure me. “John I am so worried please tell me what is going on. He won’t respond to any of my messages.  What if he is with another girl? Or doing things he shouldn’t?” I questioned. “Everything is good. Hey I got to go talk to you later Paige love you bye.” He said hanging up right away.

Boy was I scared. I texted Madison cause I knew she was at the party. “Hey who is Ryan with? Sorry to bother you.”  I texted. She responded right away.  “I don’t know, he walked out with a group of guys. It was like Josiah and some of them. You know the ones who always get caught smoking in the back of class? There was some blonde chick with them. I would text him if I were you.”  I panicked. What the hell?  I started to cry a little. I picked up my phone and every time I dialed his number and went straight to voicemail. Maybe I was just over thinking. He is so smart he would not do anything bad. It was 11 pm so I gave up trying. I took 3 sleeping pills and went on to bed.

It was about 2 am when the phone rang. I stood up and ran to my parent’s room. They were on the phone crying.  I began to scream and cry. “WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON? IS HE DEAD? TELL ME NOW?” I ran into my mom’s arms. We both hugged for a long time. “Were going downtown to the hospital okay? He needs you there.” My mom said tears streaming down her face. The drive seemed longer than ever. When we got there I was told to wait in the waiting room. It pissed me off and I started yelling. “CAN SOMEONE JUST PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED, IT’S MY BOYFRIEND I DESEVRE TO KNOW.” A nurse came and took me into another room.

“Hi Paige I am Reagan I am Ryan’s nurse. Sweetie you have to calm down okay?” she said patting my back. “I am fine just let me know he is alright.” I stuttered. “ Ryan was in a very bad car accident, his friend was driving drunk and ran off a bridge. Ryan has lost most of his blood and is suffering hypothermia. He has some brain damage as well as a collapsed lung. We don’t know if he will make it. The 2 other guys with him died on the scene.  I am sorry baby girl keep your head up.” She said. I lost it all. It took me about ten minutes to get myself together. “ Can I at least come say my goodbye’s? It would make me feel a lot better. She took my hand and we walked to his room. When I saw my boy laying there tubes everywhere I began to cry. I knew this was the end.

I grabbed his hand and he squeezed mine. I kissed it and he smiled. He tried so hard to get words out. “ I am sorry baby, I screwed up. This is…” he started choking. “ Babe don’t talk it’ll make it worse.” I said trying not to cry.  My parents standing right outside the door I could hear their sobs. He got all his strength together and sat up. I grabbed him so he wouldn’t pass out. “ Paige Victoria, you are the most beautiful girl I have ever met. It is a pleasure being your boyfriend. This isn’t goodbye. Even if I am not with you on earth I will be in your heart and you will find me one day in Heaven.  I love you so much. This is my fault I should not have gotten in the car with them…” he said no more and closed his eyes and began to have a seizure. Reagan ran me out of the room. I cried the whole ride home. I slept in my mom’s bed that night. We got the call at 9 am the next day.

Ryan Ellis didn’t make it. I would be speaking at his funeral that Friday. This was going to hurt like hell but I remember what he said and I would forever hold that in my heart. I would never forget any of our memories or break our promises. Because when you love someone you are willing to do anything. I love you Ryan rest and peace my dear.

The person you love will not only exist on earth but in your heart