A Day Being ADHD | Teen Ink

A Day Being ADHD

December 15, 2014
By Laura Tatum BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
Laura Tatum BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Okay me. Today’s the day. I’m going to focus on what the teacher is saying. I can be smart. I know I can.
“Okay class today we are learning a new concept in math. Who here already knows what division is?” Pay attention, pay attention.
“It’s the opposite of multiplying.” Jason rubs his nose loudly three seats to my left, the noise bothering me, but I keep staring at the teacher. I will not get distracted today!
“Very good, Jason. Now, remember how we did our multiplication triangles?” Of course I do, that’s the homework I’ve been struggling to do every night for longer than a week. Wait, are we doing more things like that? Ugg.
“Division may sound hard, but If you remember your multiplication triangles…”
Remember these dreadful things? Why would I do that? I don’t want to remember something I hate. The girl behind me is tapping her toes against the metal beam that keeps the table part of the desk in the air. I know this because I can feel the tapping drum like beat vibrate through my plastic green chair into my back. I think her name is May.
“…number, then you get the answer! Here’s an example…” Right, pay attention!  I want to be a good student. The green marker squeaks on the board as she draws a triangle, then a confusion of numbers. It’s a very annoying sound, I’m glad it stops when she pulled her hand away from the board. Her charm bracelet really sparkles in the sunlight, espeally the blue parts. The sunlight is trailing in the window like It’s not quite noon, but I can’t see the sun from this angle. It looks like the three good fairies are about to enter the classroom. That would be so cool!
“See? Not hard at all. Not for my brilliant students. If you can remember your mulitipcation tables, you’ll be fine.” My mulitipcation tables? Of course I remember them, they’re a bunch of squares with numbers in them. Wait, she meant remember the actual numbers in the tables. I’m dead, I don’t remember anything beyond 3 other then the tens and fives. I huff. Easy. Yeah, right.
May starts taping her eraser lightly against the table too. She should be a drummer when she grows up! Maybe we could start a band together! I’d sing, May would drum, we’d find someone to play guitar and be the most amazing band ever! We’d ride in limos every night to our concert and have tons of screaming fans wanting us to play our songs! Yes! Just like Ember from Danny Phantom!
“Laura!”
“Huh?
“Answer the question.”
“I… I didn’t hear it.”
“Because…?”
“I wasn’t paying attention. I’m sorry.”
The class giggles at me. I blush, but brush it off.
“Please pay attention. Who can answer the question?” She addresses the class. Lots of people raise their hands.
“I was trying to.” I think to myself. Why is it so hard for me to anyway? I guess I can’t do it. Hey, there’s a butterfly outside the window!


The author's comments:

Yet another peice for my Creative Writing class.