Serenity in Scenery | Teen Ink

Serenity in Scenery

November 21, 2014
By BbEeTtHh GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
BbEeTtHh GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
11 articles 3 photos 2 comments

As I sit in my classroom drooling over my desk, boredom seeps into every part of my soul. I am trapped in a box, anxiety, weariness, suspense, and listlessness closing in on me, constricting me. I need to get out! I need to see something other than my wrinkled, sun burnt, elderly math teacher write quadratics on the white board. That sound of the fading black marker squealing across the board is torturing me, inviting me to pitch it clear out the window.
Every second ticks by, echoed by the slightly off watches donned by some of my fellow peers. Tic-ticket-tick-tick marks one awfully long second. Every tick of the watches marks a point where my thoughts are sinking into my fuzzy mind. If I do not get out of here soon I am afraid I will go mad!
I am counting the seconds till my keepers let me free, till I can escape my cage and break into freedom. Sixty seconds till I can find something to stimulate my brain, and I have the perfect place in mind. The bell rings. I soar out of my seat, sashay across the room, knock the solicitors out of my way, and explode out of the blue school prison doors.
My body relaxes when the sunlight strikes my face. I am instantly at ease with my surroundings. No longer am I being constrained by listlessness, instead my heart pumps even faster, my mind races, and my energy soars through the roof. I am outside. My green, lush surroundings compel me to continue on to my tree, my forest, my clearing.
As I dart toward the forest in the back of my school, all I think about is my freedom. I crave my individuality and separation from the sheep at my school. I no longer desire to be one of “them” the “kids” as my guards at school refer to “us.”
I am approaching my space under my favorite oak tree. As I gaze around, I take in my soft green grass that encircles my tall extending tree. The shade my protector is providing me juts out about five feet from his trunk, providing an area of ice in the sweltering southern heat.
I sit down propping myself against my protector I gaze up into the limbs and leaves covering me. Beautiful swirls of evergreen mesh with baby blue sky encircling each other, moving as one but diverging as well. Above me is an umbrella of blue-green and below me is an ocean of green speckled with islands of lilac flowers. My guardian sways in the breeze, and light penetrates though his veil, touching me with a warm glow.
Sitting here, under my oak sanctuary, I am at peace, serenity, tranquility, and silence soothes my soul. I can only think of optimism and joy in life, as my guardians calmly sway and comfort me.