The Pitch | Teen Ink

The Pitch

By AlexHassler BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
AlexHassler BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"- Kevin Durant

A 3-2 count, runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 outs. “I can do this. I know I can.” I say quietly. My heart is beating frantically. Any faster and it would explode.
“Come on Alex, you can do this.” Jacob yells. I stare into the pitchers eyes. He looks determined. He checks the runners. Meanwhile, the crowd is going ballistic. I have been waiting for this moment. I get into my stance. I bend my knees and rest the bat on my shoulder. The pitcher starts his windup. My heart stops.

I feel the sweat dripping down my neck as the pitch comes. Its spinning like a tornado. Probably a curveball. I start my swing, eyes on the ball, then all of a sudden, BAM! I connected, in fact, I crushed it. I spring out of the batters box while running as fast as possible. I reach first and round it heading to second. I look at the ball. Its way back in left field. I have to score I tell myself, I just have to. I need to help my team. They deserve it. I touch second but only for a split second as I charge to third. My feet are practically flying. This is the fastest I have ever gone. I reach third, but who in their right mind would stop at third? I don’t stop. I don't allow myself to stop. Then I start on a mad dash for home. Its so close, 30 feet, 20 feet, 5 feet, I dive. I stretch out for home, its so close. My hand finally touches the plate.
“ Safe”  the ump yells.

I had done it, I won the game. My team jumps in joy, I do the same. We had won. I was overjoyed.
“Yes. I did it” I yell. I couldn't be more happier. I look at the pitcher. He is throwing his glove out of frustration. I feel bad, but at the same time I don't. I work hard to win, like a salmon swimming upstream. It never stops till it achieves its goal. And I achieved my goal, by never giving up. Like the salmon.

This is based on a true story. I hope you enjoy!!

AlexHassler BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

ITS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!