My American Dream | Teen Ink

My American Dream

By KarenCano BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
KarenCano BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

“You should really get a picture frame of that,” a lady with white as snow hair said while entering the room.
“I will as soon as the meeting is over,” I said as I was putting the picture down. “Take a seat; do you want anything to drink?” I asked her
“Yes, a water please, you know you should really clean, and decorate this room, it looks horrible,” she said while giving her the water I gave her. “Yes, after my meeting,” I told her while reading my scattered notes for the millionth time. “You never changed you know,” she murmured. “Never changed what?” I asked. “You haven’t noticed? I would always see your nose stuck in a book, or just reading something, like when I meet you,” she told me. “Yes, I was always a book worm, even while I was back in my home town in Mexico,” I said while laughing. “It’s a good thing I came here, or I wouldn’t have ever met you.” I was then brought back with the memories of my past.
My name is Gabriela De Todos Los Angeles, and I crossed the border in order to get to my American Dream in the United States of America. I didn’t know what was lying ahead of me in the United States. Or how a highly intelligent 16 year old could have done it alone, and how many obstacles I faced. Or why I even crossed the border in the first place.
It all happened on my sixteenth birthday. My aunt wanted to throw me a party because she always saw that I never really talked to people. I rather much enjoy a book than have a conversation with someone my age. My aunt told me I was too smart for my own good, and I was. I always aced my tests in school, always getting good grades, and always getting made fun of for being a nerd. My aunt saw that I didn’t have any friends, or even go out to enjoy a good time.  She would always scold me like a child for staying inside reading, and telling me to go out to enjoy some fresh air.
“Come one Gaby, go and enjoy some fresh air you’ll look like a vampire if you keep this up,” she would tell me with her thick accent Mexican accent.
As always, I would tell her to leave me alone, and let me read in peace. I wasn’t always rude like that, when my parent died in a car crash when I was 10. I began to shut people out, and cope with reading all the time. Know my new guardian she would always scold, or nag me for reading too much, and to make some friends. She would always find some new ideas for me to make friends. One of her ideas was a birthday party for me.
I have to admit I enjoyed it a little even though I didn’t know anyone there, but at the end of the day I didn’t. Apparently my aunt had way too much to drink, and died later that night of alcohol poisoning. The next day a funeral was arranged, and I was put in an orphanage because she was my only last remaining relative left. Then all of a sudden I got this really brilliant idea.
I was going to head to America. Sure the trip wasn’t easy, a cut in my arm from going through the small hole I made in the fence. Being shot at by the Immigration Police, I still shudder at the thought of that. Or like that time I encountered a rattle snake and a skunk at the same time. I still managed to escape to America, and I was thankful I got there safe.
After that I remember my time in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I was so happy at the time, I didn’t even notice the two robbers who were behind me, and then robbed me. The good thing was is that I kept my money in my pocket at the time. I walked to the nearest bus station on my map, and bought a ticket to Massachusetts. That’s where I met her.
Our encounter was unlike any other. It was like a cliché moment off of a movie. I remember it till this day. I was just looking for a place to stay until I heard a cry for help.
“Help, someone help me!” someone scream.
I went to go check out the source of the scream. I hide behind some bushes, and looked over them. There I saw an elderly lady gripping onto her purse. Then I saw a man griping the over side of the purse, both of them playing tug-of-war with it.
“Just give me your purse lady,” the robber said.
“I will do no such thing, now unhand me my purse,” she shouted. I felt like I needed to do something, and I went out from behind the bushes and shouted out.
“Hey, let go of her purse or I’ll call the cops on you,” I shouted. With that he let go of the ladies purse, and ran away. “Are you alright,” I asked the woman as I walked up to her. I got a good look at her; she was small a few inches smaller than me. She had a really wrinkly face, and the whitest hair I have ever seen, like snow. She didn’t seem that old, but maybe in her 50’s or 60’s.
I found out that her name was Rosaline, and offered me a place to stay for saving the millions of dollars that were in her purse. I tried to decline, but ended up staying at her house. I learned that she’s from London, and owns her own company. I also found out that she doesn’t have any children. She asked me where I was from. I tried to lie to her, but she then caught me in the act. I had to tell her that I was here illegally. She then said, “Why is a young girl like you all alone in a new country? How did you learn how to speak English, and where are your parents I’m sure they are worried about you. ” I then replied, “To have a better life, I took some classes back in Mexico, and my parents past away when I was 10; I’m on my own now.” I was then expecting pity out of her. Ever since my parents died, all of the people in our town pitied me. I hated it, it made me feel weak and sad inside. But she didn’t, she just murmured a quick sorry, and continued looking out the door. Rosaline gave me a tour of her gigantic house, she even let me barrow some clothes, and her shower as well.
Four years had gone by and I still live with her. Not as a stranger she just met, but as her daughter. I remember the day she asked me to be her daughter. I was really shocked that day, I even asked her again just to make sure. I asked her later that day shy she didn’t kick me out the next day I meet her. She told me that she saw potential in me, that I looked like a hard-working girl.  She laughed at my reply, and repeated what she said. I know am working as her assistant in her big company, soon to be my company. 
“Yes, that is correct,” Rosaline said. I then looked at the picture I was holding at again. It was a picture of my parents, and a younger version of me. Rosaline then stood up from her chair. “Well I must be heading out now, I don’t want to keep you from your meetings,” she said while opening the door. “Wait,” I ordered. I grabbed the phone, and I quickly told my assistant Nelly to cancel my meeting for today. Rosaline then looked at me shocked, but then smiled at me. “Can you help me pick out a picture frame?’ I asked. “Of course, maybe we should by some cabinets for all those files you have in that messy office,” she replied. “Whatever you say, Mom,” I replied back. With that we were off buying future picture frames, and future cabinets.