‘Like, Like’ Goes the Dynamite | Teen Ink

‘Like, Like’ Goes the Dynamite

November 10, 2014
By tocatlje BRONZE, Montvale, New Jersey
tocatlje BRONZE, Montvale, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Diary,
Today was just another day in the life of a high school girl. I went to class, got was bored in class, and then left that boring class for an even duller one. During lunch, I went to the library as per usual. It was quiet, as a library should be. The library got a little brighter when a bunch of smiling friends came in. I like to call them “The Unstoppables” or the “U-crew.” The U-crew is made up of three gals, Kendall, Hannah, and Laura. They have the most perfect friendship imaginable. They do absolutely everything together; if they’re getting something to eat, they’re together, if they’re at the movies, they’re together, no matter where they are, they’re together. Seeing them as they waltz their way into the library, giggling, gossiping, and grinning really makes me wish that I had a friendship like theirs. After my average Friday afternoon, I went home and had a raging night with my 10-year-old brother, Scott. My night included me watching him play Mario Kart while I stalked the U-crew on Instagram. They had, yet another, exhilarating night in NYC as they dined at luxurious restaurants, shopped around So Ho, and got into clubs to flirt with college guys! I mean, how much more exiting could a junior in high school’s life get?! I know mine could use a lot more spice considering I passed out on the couch around 10PM and woke up an hour later to my face covered in artwork, all thanks to my lovely preteen of a brother.  Now I’m off to the bathroom to scrub off the marker residue from my face; what an exciting night to be me!


Xo,
Kelsey


A little hello to my little world,
Last night Hannah, Laura, and I went into the city. It was nice to get out because of my extremely stressful school week. However the night did not go as I had hoped. Hannah, Laura, and I ended up going to a club in So Ho for the night. It started off nice, we found some cute guys that we were able to hang out with. Turned out that they were not the nicest guys in the bunch, as most guys are, they were only out for one thing. Sex. And they went to the extent of drugging Laura. Luckily, we were able to get her out of there before anything actually happened. When we tried to hail a cab to the closest hospital in the conversation went as followed:
“Rush us to the nearest hospital!” yelled Hannah.


“What happened?” asked the cab driver.


“Our friend was drugged, now please, hurry!” I exclaimed.


He looked back Laura, her limp and disoriented body, foaming mouth, and blacked out eyes and said, “Please exit my car, I cannot help you.”


My mouth dropped, just because she was drugged by some inconsiderate horny guys meant he could not help us, I thought it was some kind of sick joke until he began yelling at us to get out of his cab. So there we were, three helpless girls stranded in the city. We were able to get my brother to pick us up. This month, our parents kicked us out of the house because we were just “bratty kids that needed to learn to care about more than ourselves,” so we had been staying in a motel right outside of town. When we got ‘home’ we showered her and somehow got her to a healthier state. The night left me completely dumbfounded. Unfortunately, it seemed as though things were only getting worse in my life. After they’re done hitting us, my parents sporadically kick us out, sometimes I like it better though, my brother is the only person that I can truly trust. He’s the person that always has my back, I’ve broken up with boyfriends, been kicked to the curb by friends, and have never been able to depend on my parents, but my brother has never left. He really gets me. In high school he was perceived as having the ‘perfect’ life, when really he was going through all of the struggles that I’m enduring, too. What annoys me the most is that people genuinely do not care. No one from school needs to know so we aren’t telling them, but if they were to find out they would be like, “oh its no big deal, their lives are still so perfect.” FALSE. Our lives are nowhere near perfect! My parents abused my brother and I to the point that we were kicked out because they’re so twisted, Hannah’s parents are going through an awful divorce, and Laura is failing out of most of her classes so she is not sure if she’ll even graduate on time. But the thing is no one knows that stuff about us, nor do they care enough to find anything out because people only seem to care about what meets the eye.
Xo,
Kendall

 

Dear Diary,
Today I experienced a major plot twist. I walked into the girl’s bathroom at school and I heard someone sobbing in the stalls. I wasn’t sure who it was so I stayed to uncover the secret. It was Kendall. She walked out; mascara streaming down her face, completely mortified that someone saw her in this state.


“Are you okay?” I asked, completely caught off guard. I always thought she had her life so put together, I guess I was wrong.


“I mean, clearly I’ve been better,” she replied with a little chuckle as she wiped the tears from her eyes.
“I know it’s not my place to ask, but do you want to talk?” I whispered.


She sighed. We exchanged numbers and decided that we would talk later since we were both in class. She smiled at me as she walked out of the bathroom. After school we met up and talked about our issues over some frozen yogurt. I learned a lot about her. Her life is not as perfect as social media makes it seems. Her and her friends go through serious issues and do not have fun, perfect lives 24/7. Kendall hit her breaking point. It turns out that the amount of likes she got on an Instagram picture reflected her happiness; it was really just an illusion. I never would have known that the U-crew was just a group of girls that were going through their own issues if I didn’t run into Kendall in the bathroom. It made me reflect and appreciate what I did have; maybe I only have 25 Instagram followers, but that I do not live a bad life, just like Kendall’s likes did not mean that she lives a flawless life either.


Xo,
Kelsey


The author's comments:

I wrote this for my English class to show the value that teens of today have on social media.