Wrist Lines | Teen Ink

Wrist Lines

By TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California
TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California

"There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the proportion."- Edgar Allan Poe

Serah was sprawled across the floor, lost in dreams. Damian tore his eyes away from Call of Duty and gazed at her. The clock above her head flashed 2:03 AM. Dropping the controller lightly on the floor, he leaned over and affectionately stroked his girlfriend’s hair. His fingertips trailed down to her neck, down to her shoulder. They trailed down and down until they reached her forearm. In the dim light of the glowing television, the grooves in her skin couldn’t be seen. Damian let his fingers trace their bumped feature; perfect lines. He let himself feel her mortality.

Glancing back at Serah’s face, he met her open eyes. Serah reached over to Damian and grasped his wrist firmly. Her thin fingers trembled on the smooth skin.

“Our wrists don’t match.” Serah whispered, sleep still catching at her words. Damian stared at her, taking all of her in. Her messy blonde hair was curling slightly. Her rumpled maroon, oversized shirt overlapped her jean shorts. Kitten socks covered her tiny feet.

“No, but they don’t have to.” Damian sealed his words with a light kiss to her forehead. The television glowed and the clock flashed.

Everyone has scars. The people that can love you with that are the people to keep.

Laura Young said...
on Nov. 16 2014 at 11:36 am
I love this I really do. It's sweet, and sad, and amazing and really shows you that there are some people who don't care if you've gone through such hard times that it lead to leaving scars, that they will love you anyway, and tell you that your beautiful despite the marks left on your body. I don't just love this because of the message it portrays, but the fact that I can relate. I've tried leaving marks on my wrist, my boyfriend knows but he doesn't care. He still thinks I'm beautiful and for sure the ones who think this way are the ones to keep.