Untrue Truths in Words Spoken | Teen Ink

Untrue Truths in Words Spoken

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Jack Lauren, sat staring intently at the shining silver metal that lay harmlessly in the palm of her hand.  It glinted, only showing small spots of old, unwashed blood.  All she did was look at it, so harmless right now, yet it would do what she wished it to.  It would end her pain and suffering.  It could kill her, if she used correctly.

The banging at the door had not seized, only became more persistent.  She could hear her boyfriend, Alec screaming franticly.  The wailing of her younger brother Kendal, all but a blur to her.  Her mother was screaming frantically, but all Jack did was stare at the glinting silver metal that lay in her palm.  The door stayed locked, the key on the floor next to her.

‘Emotionless b****,’ the girls in school would say.

‘Fat as hell,’ the boys from the football team would say.

‘Attention seeker,’ others would say.

‘Whore!’

‘Slut!’

‘Worthless!’

‘Waist of space!’

‘Just kill yourself, b****!’ 

And that is exactly what Jack planned to do with this seemingly harmless sliver of medal in her palm.  She was going to end the suffering that was caused by words that deep down, she knew were untrue.  She was going to stop her pain.  But, did she know what else she would stop?

Her bullies would feel the guilt build, affecting their emotional status and cutting deeply into their thoughts.  Most might turn to crime or try to help others, in rare cases.  Alec, depressed and angered might turn to drugs and alcohol.  He might have killed the dream of becoming a doctor, because the girl he loved, left him and he might have seen it as his doing, even when he was so inocent in the matter, and so young when it happened.  Jack’s brother Kendal, just ten years old now, may start growing distant.  He may stop eating, talking, or worse.  Jack’s story could repeat itself, and that is something that should never happen and should never have happened.  Finally, out of all of those in the inner circle, is her mother.  She might think she failed as a mother, allowing Jack to be hurt to the point of turning to 'the void', by not talking to her, or getting help for her daughter.  She may decide she is unfit to care for Kendal and give the young boy up.  Or she grow depressed, distant and incapable of caring for Kendal.  And what if she just so happens to be carrying a baby?  The depression and lack of emotional awareness might endanger the baby.

Jack didn’t think of all of this as she began slowly pick the shiny metal up.  She pricked the pad of her fingertip on the edge, drawing a drop of blood, watching it grow and fall down her finger like a sinister teardrop.  Jack smiled as she placed the tip to her wrist, adding pressure and puncturing the large vein that ran through it.  She cried out in pain, but continued decorating her arms with stabs and drags from the small blade, somewhat enjoying the pain, and after doing this for so long... it doesn't really hurt anymore.  She carved words into her skin, words from her bullies' mouths.  Words she thought were true because others said them.

The banging on the door became worse, more violent and frantic, growing louder with each passing second.  As Jack began to bleed, more and more, the blade dropping as she bled out onto the floor, the wood of the door began to splinter with the force of each hit.  It whined and cracked, making horrific noises as someone slammed against it.  Jack knew she only had about a minute left before the pain would end, and the people who had started this would be satisfied.  Right?  She saw the truth in those untrue and unkind words that were spoken and was ready to except it.

The door flew off of its hinges as Alec stumbled into the room, frantically looking for his girlfriend.  Jack lay still, slumped behind the toilet, barely holding on to the bit of energy that kept her alive, yet she held a tired smile on her face, thinking that this was right.  This was what everyone wanted.

Alec cried out for her frantically, but it fell on deaf ears, for just as he called for the first time, the last shred of Jack that held her to this emotional torcher, this world, disappeared into the after.  Jack had become a victim.  Not the first, not the last.  Just one drop of blood in an ocean.

Alec told the two others to stay back as he didn’t wish them any harm that might come with seeing what he knew was to come from his search of the bathroom.  He searched the large, cold bathroom, now not so pristine, but bloody and sinister like that of one you would see in a horror film.  He finished looking everywhere but behind the toilet, and he feared to see what lie in store, but he looked for the sake of knowing, for the sake of her remaining family.  The sight he saw broke the tough man that had formed with Jack’s help and showed the vulnerable boy to come out of his shell.

Alec pulled Jack’s lifeless corps into his arm and sobbed into the crook of her neck, seeking the warmth that had welcomed him before, yet he found nothing.  The only thing Jack gave now was the sinister look of scarlet blood, staining everything.  He examined the cuts that covered her arms and sobbed harder as her family came in, frightened and curious.

Kendal stayed in his hysterics while her mother stayed crying, silent tears streaming down her face when they took in what they saw.  One thing replayed over and over in their minds…
Jack had fallen victim to the truth in the untruthful, harmful words of others who felt that it was the cool thing to do, and they could never get her back.  Not with 'sorry' or 'I wish we didn’t'.  Jack was gone.  A lost child with so much promise.  She had seen the false truth in the words of those who meant her harm and fallen victim.  Jack was dead.  All because of the untrue truths she found in words spoken.

I wrote this because I have read several articles on students who had fallen victim to bullying.  I wrote it because when things get bad, not everyone wants to stick around to see if it gets better.  So, in honor of those who already have, I wrote this so that maybe someone could get some idea of what could happen if they chose to do such things.  I wrote it in hopes that people might think before they act, maybe get help, whether thay are the bully or the victim.