Good People: Thief | Teen Ink

Good People: Thief

July 30, 2014
By knib12 SILVER, Milton, Massachusetts
knib12 SILVER, Milton, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Discreet is the name of the game. Do whatever you can, as much as you can, take all you want. The catch is, you can’t get caught. I love the rush of adrenaline. I love the look on their faces afterwards. I’m Dominic Sinclair, and I work in the business of thievery. Right now I work in a large company on Wall Street. Perfect place for someone like me, huh? Well I’m on the fast track to be a junior partner within five years, and I’ve been stealing from them since I was an intern. Most people in this world of finance are rather unobservant.
It’s actually almost boring sometimes. It’s too easy, and that freaks me out a little bit. Whatever happened to the thrill of the chase? Where is the challenge anymore? It used to be stimulating, a break from my monotonous life. Sometimes, it scares me. Am I too good? Is that the problem? I used to feel sorry for my victims. Not those corporate idiots, but the good, down-to-earth people that invest their hard earned money in us. So I would keep what was necessary, and give the rest away. But I stopped that several years ago.
Sometimes, I feel bad about what I do.
Sometimes, I want to stop and just be a law-abiding citizen for once.
Sometimes, Jude looks at me funny, like he pities me. He’s always been my buddy, my partner in crime, but recently he’s been hesitant. I can’t stand that look.
Sometimes, I want to be like my little brother, content with what I have. Sometimes, I hate Jude for that ability. So I go to work, siphon off a couple hundreds of thousands of dollars, go home and drown myself in alcohol. The next morning, I have forgotten my discomfort with crime and go right back at it.


The author's comments:
This is from Dominic's point of view. He's more of a "I know I'm a bad person but I'm not going to do anything about it," kind of guy.