Everything Is Arranged | Teen Ink

Everything Is Arranged

July 12, 2014
By Margaret252 SILVER, Thrichur, Other
Margaret252 SILVER, Thrichur, Other
6 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
why are you trying to fit in when you were made to stand out???


Yep. A nice thin coat of lemon juice after the seeds are removed, ofcourse. Yes it is itchy. As I applied it on her face she winced.We wait for half an hour , then wash off. Woah! She looks so fresh. A little bit of tamarind paste to add to the glow. Hair is washed ,steamed and then two clips to hold them together yet let them know she has enough length. We argued for half an hour on which dress she should be wearing ,the newly bought one worth 3000 rupees or the quite not new one worth 1500 rupees. We settled for the former. I ironed it for her. Now it looks crisp .I help her wear them. I took the gold bracelet, ring, necklace, earing and anklet and handed it over . she is feeling kinda shy and she blushes the whole time.

By the time the rest of us run around and clean up the mess . Made the house look quite something. Each Nook and corner was brushed and washed twice. Now we don't want them to think that we are untidy , do we? I look at my sister and can't help feeling that idiotic feeling . She is going to leave the house soon.we wouldnt share the same surname.We would never ever be best friends with that crazy dancing singing pranking shouting playing crying hugging calling (when in deep deep deep trouble) kinda sisters again.

Today the official 'girl seeing' function is going to happen. Wait. Many of you might not know what it means even. Its a function when the guy and his parents come to see the girl. In short we can call it as an arranged marriage. If they like her then we proceed to things to get them married. Otherwise we wait for next guy. And maybe he will like her. Weird? Not for us.

The doorbell rings and all of our hearts tense. Dad opens the door and welcomes them. The girls of the family stay behind the curtain. I take a peep and look at the guy. Oh. He is fair , tall and quite OK. I pass the information to sister. She blushes again but this time a worried blush. Only' the girl 'should take the tea and give it to him. She takes the tray and slowly gives it first to the guy, his father and then dad. She prepares to go. That's when our uncle said
" Rolly, wait!"
She stands there . I can see she is not cool about this.
Uncle says to the guy ,
"Ask her whatever you want"

The guy looks at her
"Whats your name?"
"Rolly"
"What are you doing now?"
"Mba. Part time teacher also." She looks down.for the first time I see her this shy.
"Ok.which college?"
" askoni college of arts"
His phone rings. He cancels it.
" I know that college. My friend too studied there. Do you want to ask me anything?"
"What's your name?"
"Anil."
"What are doing now?"
"Working as bank manager"
After half seconds she looks at me as if she was waiting for school bell ring and rush home.
After that she hurries towards us. She looks redder than tomato. I make fun of her. I am sure she wasn't this tensed for her job interview. The thought made me smile. Dad and them talk and laugh and its time for them to go. As they leave she let's out a huge sigh.
They have given us enough to worry for a few days .

Weeks passed. I secretly asked dad "papa, what about that manager? Did he like her?"
"She hasn't enough colour"
"Oh.."

I never said anything about it to her .
But after a few months she ,
"What about that guy?"
"Which ?oh.. That we left it because he isn't smart enough" ( not smart enough to like my sister)
"What?"
"You ask too many questions. You have got an exam tomorrow. Go study. I have badminton practice"


The author's comments:
This piece of work tells the system India follows for arranged marriages. My mom and dad met like this .As they said it, it was weird . But they have been a happy couple since I knew them.