Instances | Teen Ink

Instances MAG

By Mabish3 SILVER, Stratford, Connecticut
Mabish3 SILVER, Stratford, Connecticut

It took me 15 years and 364 days to turn 16, three tries to pass my driving test, and several months of nonsense to finally earn the right to drive on my own.

It takes a song and a half to get out of the school’s hellish parking lot at the end of the day, until the second chorus of “Sweet Child O’ Mine” to reach the first traffic light, and more or less half of any album in my collection to get home.

It takes an instant to lose everything.

Not one of those commercial instants either: Lose ten pounds instantly! Regrow a full head of hair in an instant! In an instant, that troublesome fungus will disappear! When those people use the word instant, it means at least a minute, or, if they don’t mind lying to the public, days or more. I don’t imply, and I don’t lie. When I use the word instant, I mean a fraction of a second. I mean less than a heartbeat.

I mean my head through the windshield, my mouth still open from singing along to whatever song I was listening to the instant before.

It wasn’t even my fault, not really. I suppose I could have chosen a safer car, but when deciding between a bunch of safety features I might never even need and CDs I would absolutely want in the next year or two, my judgment was not at its best. I blame the economy, and the constant civil war between heart and head. I blame The Killers for coming out with a new album every five minutes, and statistics that say I would probably never die in a crash anyway.

Come to think of it, the accident wasn’t even the other driver’s fault. I would probably run a red light if I were late for a dentist appointment too. Maybe not one at a busy intersection, but who’s to say it wasn’t a really important appointment? Perhaps he was getting a new filling. Yeah, I’d race across the road with no regard for traffic in my 2004 pickup for that, too, especially if there was nothing in my way except a wimpy ’98 Civic. Because I would be the only person on the road. Every other car would be driven by a robot, a drone that doesn’t matter in my world. The only thing that would matter to me is being on time for my appointment.

Like him, I too would be surprised when, after stepping out of my barely scratched vehicle, I saw the other car scrunched up like an accordion, like a piece of paper balled up and thrown against the side of the street. I would be shocked to see blood on the shards of glass strewn about the pavement because apparently I hadn’t realized running that light meant plowing into the Civic, which would lead to crushing the 17-year-old inside it. The 17-year-old who just wanted to listen to The Smiths while driving home.

Maybe I’m being too bitter about all of it. After all, the other driver did stand by while someone else called 911, waited patiently while the paramedics extricated me from my mangled vehicle, and even went through the trouble of leaving a note of apology beside my bed in the hospital. I, of course, wouldn’t know of his contributions to my well-being until after I woke up from the coma a week and a half later.

I sure hope his dentist was a good sport about rescheduling.

TAR11 SILVER said...
on Jul. 19 2011 at 6:39 am
TAR11 SILVER, Allison Park, Pennsylvania
Cool story please check mine out if you get the chance. 

Mortie PLATINUM, Oak Run, California

Whats The Point?

this story was amazing, great use of sarcasm!

AlyssaFama SILVER, Kunkletown, Pennsylvania

Most people want to be the sun that brightens your day. I'd rather be the moon that shines down on you in your darkest hour.

i love the sarcasm! it makes the story seem not as harsh. great job!

inkers GOLD said...
on Jun. 25 2011 at 1:11 am
inkers GOLD, Midland, Texas

"And the lamplight gloating o'er him threw his shadow on the floor... and my soul from out that shadow... shall be lifted, nevermore!" - Poe

Your voice made this story a lot more powerful. This was very well done, and the message was loud and clear! <3

AnonymousKLM BRONZE, Carlsbad, California
1 article 1 photo 14 comments

When you look at a person, any person, remember that everyone has a story. Everyone has gone through something that has changed them. - Mark Twain

Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. - Robin Hood

Awesome story, the sarcasm was perfect in this story.

Five stars

krzykrys GOLD said...
on Apr. 22 2011 at 10:04 am
krzykrys GOLD, Baldwinsville, New York

i have many favorite quotes

That is absolutely terrible to think about, but it probably happens almost every day. It reminds me of a drunk driver story. You wrote it very well. keep writing!

on Mar. 31 2011 at 10:23 am
DoodlezTheScribe BRONZE, Keswick, Other

"Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
— Dorothy Parker

This is hands down my favorite story on the entire site. The premise is engaging and the writing is emaculate. I can't wait to read more of your work! =)

WingsFlyingHigh BRONZE, Sterling, Virginia

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marylin Monroe

This was awesome! I loved it, and the sarcasm was really good. Just one small thing - in the beginning, she talked about "losing everything". In the end though, you didn't say what she lost. Did she come out of the coma all healthy and ready to get back to her life? Did she lose a limb, or the ability to walk? Her memories? I was a little confused at the end because of this. Otherwise, it was awesome!

DaydreamBeliever GOLD, Lockport, Other

If you live to be one hundred, I want to live to be one hundred minus one day, so that I'll never have to live without you. -Winnie the Pooh

I absolutely love it!!!! i clicked all five stars by the second paragraph. I loved the sarcasm and the innocence, i wouldnt change it at all!

mjhubbert BRONZE, Gold River, California

I'd rather be shivering with pneumonia than sitting on the dock and wondering if the water's warm.

This is really spectacular!  I love it.  a couple things to improve it:

1) give a little more background on the person.  Not neccessarily a name, but maybe a classs he/she takes in school, driving his/her sister/brother somewhere, something to let us in a little bit more.

2) give a hint of sarcasm before he/she gives the big sarcastic thing about the truck hitting the Civic.  It took me a couple seconds to get it, so that little hint. 

I love it! <3

meganwagner21 PLATINUM, Old Bridge, New Jersey

"Sometimes good things have to fall apart so better things can fall together." -Marilyn Monroe
"Nobody can go back and make a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -Maria Robinson

this wuz relly relly gud !

Suziepatricia BRONZE, Wickliffe, Ohio
really good descriptions and great way of storytelling against the serious topic :) i liked it

ilovepolkadots, Joplin, Missouri
I loved this.

on Dec. 11 2010 at 10:58 am
bella049117 SILVER, Shell Beach, California
i luv how u write it and added your own little touches of sarcasm. beautifully written

on Nov. 23 2010 at 10:14 am
thestorycritic GOLD, Hyderabad, Other

Live life King Size

Like: Sarcasm :D

Dislike: nothing, actually

Verdict: Super! :)

TheMalfunctioningWallflower BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"GET THE CAT!!!"

"I did wood paneling."

"Do not FEAR the Crooked Zipper!! EMBRACE the Crooked Zipper!!!"

"What's better than infinity?"

"Wear your helmets, we'll be reaching speeds of three!"

"You could walk on your hands and catch up to him!"

I love it!! The touches of sarcasm and different perspectives

communicativedistractions PLATINUM, Fall City, Washington

"I miss you like an alcoholic misses toothpaste."

nice sarcasm :) It's really tried, true, and obvious *awesome*

VioletsandVoice, Spiritwood, North Dakota
wow this was really good. i love the idea of switching the angle from the man who hits the girl to the girl being hit. 5/5

KiraS. SILVER said...
KiraS. SILVER, Newburgh, Indiana

"Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself."- J.K.Rowling

I love it! it's really good! i like how the main person is so calm!

JessieB SILVER said...
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

i love this piece. I was originally just skimming through articles when yours caught my eye, and It was definitely worth the read(: