I wish someone told her. | Teen Ink

I wish someone told her.

By Natalie16 GOLD, Nashik, California
Natalie16 GOLD, Nashik, California

Teams are for people who don't have the ability to get anywhere on their own.

There lived two friends. Siya and Meesha, both were 19 years old. Both were pretty and lovable and fun to be with. Meesha had just moved to a big city from her protected and sheltered life in a small town. She was bright and vibrant and just full of life. Having moved to a new city, Meesha had become a little overwhelmed. Going from a family person to a lonely one was too much to take in. That is when Siya entered the picture. Siya was a smart young woman. She had worldly sense and a kind heart. Siya and Meesha soon hit it off and became inseparable. They became best of friends. Meesha had never met a friend like her before.
There days were spent in going to college, coming back, hanging out and messing around and clubbing together. Meesha had the time of her life. She became street smart. The once homely person had become really wise. Siya was like a long lost sister to her. There was not a minute when they both were not together. They became too close.
Soon, in the second year of their college, both moved into an apartment together. They were still best friends. However, there weren't just two people in the friendship now. There was Siya’s long distance boyfriend. He frequently visited their apartment. The apartment belonged to Meesha’s dad. She was fine with random people popping in as they liked. After a few days, it became kind of nauseating. It felt like intruding. Meesha was meek. She did not have the heart to tell Siya that her boyfriend could not stay at her apartment. So, she lived with it. Siya and Meesha made new friends, friends who were far closer to Siya than they were to Meesha.
Slowly, the equation of their friendship changed. They started finding tiny faults with one another. Outsiders tried to pry on their friendship. The biggest change was in Siya. She turned into altogether a different human being. She was no more the same friendly and warm person she used to be. This Siya was cold and distant. Meesha changed too. Meesha loved to fit in. She loved to appear cool and feel like a part of the crowd. Siya was a chain smoker. Meesha became one too. Siya liked drinking alcohol. Meesha started drinking too.
Meesha became a rebel. She hated listening to advice from her well-wishers. She hated everything in the world. She was of the opinion that she was always right and others failing to accept so were pieces of trash. This behaviour affected her family. Her parents were hurt. She fought with them every chance she got. What she didn’t know was that her dear friend Siya was not going to be there for her anymore. Siya had become a stranger. It was like two strangers lived in the same apartment, they greeted each other in the morning and while leaving the house for the day. It was just for the sake of making small talk. Siya started bitching about Meesha to her boyfriend. So, Siya, her boyfriend and her friends all back stabbed poor Meesha. This was when Meesha readily let them crash at her place whenever they wanted to.
Meesha knew of their wrongdoings. However, she was a weakling and did not want to feel left out. She cried and cried. She felt as if she was going to go insane. The people she most trusted were turning their backs on her. She wanted to tell all of them to bog off. She wanted to kick Siya out of her life. She wanted the pain to stop and be happy again. But, memories of their happy times used to flash in her mind. That gave her the hope that things could still work out between them, that Siya could once again be the good friend she used to be. The truth was that there was no hope. Siya had a boyfriend and her entourage. She did not need Meesha.
Meesha also did not need her. She knew it, but she was not willing to let go of what remained of their friendship. Meesha was filled with self-hatred. She used to tell herself that they had grown apart because she had done something wrong. She used to think about all of their conversations which erupted into a blame game. She was sure that she was the reason Siya did not need her anymore. She was going to drive herself insane.
I wish someone told Meesha. I wish someone told her that she was a good person, that she was much better and stronger than she thought. I wish she realized her worth. I wish she knew that only people who truly care stay around for all the ups and downs. I wish she would not have been so hard on herself. I wish she had guts to stand up for herself and tell Siya what bothered her. I wish Meesha had taken good care of her soul and confidence, which now lay shattered and squashed. I wish someone told her.

I wrote this from a real-life experience of someone very close to me. I want people to know that they are strong and can stand high and tall on their own as well.