Midnight | Teen Ink

Midnight

By Stawberry2001 SILVER, Leeds, Other
Stawberry2001 SILVER, Leeds, Other

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou

I whinny in delight as Emily’s small face leans out of the window, it lights up when she sees me waiting for her. She waves at me then ducks back inside, two minutes later she rushes out of the door and throws her arms around my neck. I lean into her hand and polish off the rosy apple that she offers me, then I follow her into the barn. Emily fills my trough with food and while I eat she finds a crate to stand on and gently begins to brush my sleek black coat.
“We’re going out to the hills today Midnight,” she beams at me. “ Mum and Dad are going to market so we can stay out all day!” I snort and stamp my hooves in delight, we both love these days more then anything, when we can escape onto the wide open space and run together for hours. As soon as Emily is in her saddle I shoot out of the barn like a rocket. Eager to reach the place we most love, most want to be, where we feel completely free. I feel the cool air on my face and the wind whip through my mane and tail and I know that Emily’s hair will be streaming out behind her. I hear her laugh in delight as I pick up my speed; this is the way I want everything to stay.

I wrote this piece because I have always wanted a horse and this is how I imagine our relationship.