Everyone Noticed, Nobody Cared | Teen Ink

Everyone Noticed, Nobody Cared

By allief2000 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
allief2000 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind," ~ Dr. Seuss

I fell to the ground, hearing the snickers of the boys who shoved me. I cringed at the pain in my head. I looked around at the people walking around me. Maybe someone would help me up.

Everyone noticed, but nobody cared.

I got up and walked to my locker. I felt my face being pressed forcefully to my locker. When it finally stopped, I looked at the people at the lockers around me. Maybe someone would ask if I was ok.

Everyone noticed, but nobody cared.

I walked to my class, trying to block out the insults being shot at me. It was the same every day. Insults, physical violence. I didn't expect anyone to help, but I still hoped one day someone could surprise me. I listened for anyone telling them to stop. Maybe someone would.

Everyone noticed, but nobody cared.

Of course. I sighed. Same as always. I sat in my desk, watching as my books were shoved to the ground. I struggled to pick them up, checking to see if anyone was going to help.

Everyone noticed, but nobody cared.

I tried to pay attention during class, but was constantly
distracted by the pencil poking my back. I glanced at the snickering faces of the kids around me.

Everyone noticed, but nobody cared.

I ran out of class as soon as the bell rang, tripping on the outstretched foot beside the door. I scrambled back up, ignoring the laughter that followed me down the hallway like flies to a horse.

Everyone noticed, but nobody cared.

The laughter echoed in my head as I continued down the hallway. I let the depression show, hoping someone would try to help. I walked slowly, my tears building in the corners of my eyes. I couldn't carry on like this. I felt a lump rising in my throat.

Everyone noticed, but nobody cared.

I ran into the library, sat at a table, laid down my head and began to cry. I sobbed into my arms, wishing I could never have to go to school again. Wishing I had someone to talk to. Wishing someone cared. Wishing anyone cared. The insults and mocking and laughter continued to echo inside my head. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up at the angelic, caring face of the girl who stood over me. I could see in her eyes that she was different from everyone else. I stared, mesmerized by her as she sat in the chair next to me. I knew she was probably the only person in this school who had never bullied me. She unwrapped a piece of chocolate and handed it to me. I savored the heavenly taste of the chocolate, the first sign that someone actually cared about me. She sat quietly, waiting for me to finish my chocolate. I swallowed the chocolate, then stared down at my tear-soaked arms. "What's wrong?" she whispered. I felt her put her arm around my shoulders. I realized that the chocolate was a peace offering she wasn't going to hurt me. I laid my head on her shoulder.

She noticed. She cared.

This is an alteration on how I met my best friend. I try to highlight the importance of just talking to someone who is being bullied. Just showing you care can make a big difference.