The Undoing of a Foolish Psyche | Teen Ink

The Undoing of a Foolish Psyche

December 4, 2013
By DarkRevelations97 SILVER, Walpole, Massachusetts
DarkRevelations97 SILVER, Walpole, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I turned to speak to God about the world's despair; and to make bad matters worse, I found God wasn't there. -Robert Frost


Ignorant am I to have ever conceived the notion that someone could truly care. You, and your pretty mask of kindness have fooled my open heart. But no more. I rip the veil off your true self, revealing a sly, cunning monster. Foolish am I to have believed your lies. You centered your gaze on mine and offered seemingly genuine protection and affection. It was all a performance however. Your lips spoke from a heart that is not there. It is nowhere to be found. Not for me anyways. Blind was I to the false emotions you presented to me. For you I once looked upon the future of my desires, hoping to find you there. But no more. Now I take a glimpse at the present to be with a rage burning in my mind. No longer do I wish to see you lurking in my life. For at this moment I crave to drain you of your blackened grace. With a swish of your own betrayal, my walls come crashing down upon the delicate structure that is my control. The fury grabs hold of my heart. The final remnants of serenity fade into the agony. With bitter, abandoned tears I clutch the razor blade of smoke and mirrors that is our estranged relationship. With its silvery tongue of trickery it hacks away at my fragile heart. From your unintentional wounds realization spills out. It is heavy like blood and the demon dwelling within the shadows of my psyche awakens. It lurches from the darkness and feeds upon the crimson waves of my own sorrow. In its claws lay my memories of you and with every continuous blow of relentless torment that you inflict upon me, the demonic hand of my anger tightens. My eyes narrow. I am focused. Focused on the imagery of your demise that is floating before my vision. Ignorant am I to have once thought that you spoke truth. Never before have I become so unhinged by another's words. Despicable am I to have given in to hope and fantasy. It was only a lie. A lie hidden and disguised by sickening words of false honesty. Foolish am I to have been infatuated with a being so shrouded in falsehood. Oh how the wary are so easily enchanted by pretty words...Such a fool am I.


The author's comments:
This piece was inspired by the ordinary acts of betrayal and deceit. All people have encountered a moment in their lives where someone has either lied to them or abandoned them. These simple topics tend to strike a chord in the hearts of many who have suffered. The feelings of rage, sorrow and pity that are showcased within this poem seem to bring back memories of pain that tell a story of times that were not so joyous. The sudden reminder of personal hardships tend to resonate within the cores of those who understand the intensity of calamities.