“The Cruel Awakening” | Teen Ink

“The Cruel Awakening”

October 25, 2013
By Brett.Blair BRONZE, Jackson, Georgia
Brett.Blair BRONZE, Jackson, Georgia
4 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing will ever be perfect, but can always improve"

"People say life has lessons, Life is a Lesson that you will use for Externity"


The man woke up from his nap. He rubbed his eyes, and tried to recall what was the last thing he did. He thought and after he couldn't think of anything, he looked at the alarm clock on a small table beside his bed. It was ten-twenty nine in the morning. He had previously woken up at nine and had decided to take cat nap. He decided he would go out to the derogatory world in which he hated. He was dressed like a bum, but thought to himself that he would look more presentable than any other be-night citizen on the outside of his house.Every time he went out, he was always stunned by “the people” that he saw. He thought they were worthless. He had nobody in his life, and liked nobody.
He walked out of his house and started the three mile walk to town. While he walked all he thought about were the people he would see, and hopefully not meet. Just thinking about it made him want to disgorge and walk home. When he got to town he saw a single mom and her baby. The baby was crying and it disgusted the man. “You should get rid of your confounded baby,” he stated. The lady gave him a brutish look and walked away. He continued his walk and wished he would of just stayed home. He entered the nearest store. He was really hungry, but he still was disgusted that he would be purchasing food that someone put it’s hands on. Once he was in the store he saw a homeless person on the floor. He thought they were on the lower levels of all the other worthless people.He spat on the floor near the homeless person and muttered something mean to himself. He then continued to walk. He got up to the deli and proceeded to the line to order a salami sandwich. He was second in line and didn't feel like waiting. “I would like a……? Uh? Oh Yeah! A pastrami sandwich,” said the lady in front of him.” The man then said,” Hurry up and make her sandwich, so I can get mine and be on my way.” The deli man was really mad at his request. Once the lady left he ordered his food. Then he snarled at the deli man, took a bite and then threw it at him. The deli man yelled,” How dare you!” The man walked away and noticed a figure that was watching him. He couldn't get a good description of the figure because his face was covered up. So, he decided that his trip was over and he would return to his home and away from the horrible society. So he exited the store and confronted his short trip home. As he walked he was regretting the trip to town. As he always does when he leaves his beloved home. When he walked he heard footsteps from behind him. He continued walking like he didn't hear the footsteps. He was planning to swing at the person behind him. As he went to swing he felt a painful sensation on the back of his head, and he passed out. He had been knocked out, by the strange figure at the store.
The man that had knocked him out had taken him to an abandoned steel mill thirty miles out of town. He chained the man to what appeared to be a surgical table. He had then left the unconscious man chained to the surgical table and walked away.
The man woke up on the surgical table and was very confused. He had no idea where he was. He went to move his hands up, then his legs.He frantically paced his head around. He was chained! We was scared, he didn't no what to do! He moved his head and saw surgical tools to the side of him. To the other side he saw a gun that was bolted to a table next to him. He couldn't reach it and even if he did reach it it wouldn't move. He noticed that the barrel of the gun was pointed at his head. There was a piece of string tied to the trigger of the gun. He followed the string to the side of the surgical table. He could reach the string. Which mean he could pull the string, but then he would shoot himself in the head. He was so confused.
“You will pay for your cruel thoughts, and your bad behavior,” said the figure that had entered back into the room. The man chained to the surgical table still couldn't see his face because he was hidden into the shadows. “I would like to tell you a little bit about what’s about to happen, and when it’s over maybe you will learn how to think differently about the world around you.”

“Firstly, you will be tied to a table for two weeks. I will feed you through a tube that will be inserted through the mouth and go into your stomach. You will indur pain that you have never felt before for the next two weeks. At anytime you can pull the string to shoot yourself to relieve you of the pain. Or, you can go through the two weeks of pain. If you survive I will let you go. Do you understand?”
“No,” said the man chained to the surgical table weakly.
“Good,” Let’s begin said the figure.
The man chained to the table started to cry and wish he could go back home. The last couple of weeks was gruesome.But, the man survived and was released from the abandoned steel mill. After the two weeks he had endured: broken ribs, a punctured lung, two broken fingers, cuts, and a lost ear. He noticed that the abandoned steel mill was on top of a mountain. He walked to the edge of the mountain. He then turned near the direction where the town was at, and said “I’m sorry.” And he jumped.


The author's comments:
A dark, disturbing short story; that will leave you begging for more!
This is one of many more to come.