Hospital Doors | Teen Ink

Hospital Doors

August 24, 2013
By LiaBe PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington
LiaBe PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington
44 articles 3 photos 18 comments

Girl enters hospital doors; a kicking bulge trapped under stretched-out skin. Girl exits hospital doors; a black fuzz capped creature precariously wrapped in the spittle-covered blanket in her mother’s arms. Girl is carried through hospital doors by bleary-eyed parents. Blubbering girl exits hospital doors. A smiley-face sticker covers her chubby arm’s wound from a shot that was too goddamned expensive to worth a damn anyway. Nervous girl clenches her father’s fist as she attempts to wobble through the hospital door. Girl is scolded for ruining her perfectly silky black hair by frolicking out the hospital doors, showing off the special rainbow unicorn sticker she received for being such a good girl to all who pass as she exits. Whining girl demands she is fine; gripping her arm as her mother angrily checks her watch while dragging the girl inside the hospital doors. Girl skips out hospital doors—a pink cast covering one arm and a chocolate bar gripped in the palm of the other one. Girl enters hospital using her free arm to angrily point at her mother about a chocolate bar she never let her eat even though it can’t have made it as sick as she said it would. Girl exits hospital with both of her arms free but crossed as she contemplates going against her mother’s orders and climbing some more trees. Parents clasp both of the crying but adamant girl’s arms as they stalk in to the hospital doors; how lucky she’ll be if she hasn’t broken yet another bone. Parents exit hospital with girl scratching their own heads over how else the girl could’ve gotten the lump on the head of her own. Girl hesitantly enters the doors of the hospital, looking for reassurance in her parents’ faces but finding none. Girl exits hospital, her face hidden behind a thick shield of shiny black hair. Girl enters hospital dressed in her pajamas, her expression looking like that of a deer frozen in front of the barrel of a gun. Girl exits hospital doors with a wad of stickers in her hand, no longer wanting to be special. Girl enters hospital, her gaze cast down and her hair dulled, thinning and patchy where she thought too hard about the future. Girl exits the hospital biting into a chocolate bar but tastes more sickness than sweet. Girl enters hospital completely bald. Girl exits hospital on a stretcher, her parents having finished holding her cold hands. Girl never enters hospital doors again, forever remaining a girl.