Watch and Wait | Teen Ink

Watch and Wait

By elliphantla GOLD, Merritt Island, Florida
elliphantla GOLD, Merritt Island, Florida

You've got to be able to laugh at the Gadsden Purchase. It's what life's all about.

Walking to her locker from the bus, she felt that same feeling; someone was watching her. She glanced to the side and saw the boy sitting on a bench with his friends. As soon as he saw her eyes shift, he looked back down at his phone and pretended to be occupied with a game. The girl suppressed a small smile and continued to her locker.
She knew the boy. They had gone to the same middle school; not that they’d really spoken to one another. She had talked to him once the last year in her Spanish class… during a group activity, of course. It was only a few words, but the girl remembered it like it had happened only a week before. They had never spoken more than a few words to each other.
The previous year in eighth grade, the girl had occasionally felt the boy’s glances. But, this year, she had begun to feel them more often. She wondered if it was just her imagining things. Sometimes, she had contemplated if it was a connection between her and the boy. The girl dismissed the thought immediately. She was confused about her feelings. In past years, she’d liked a few boys, but each time, she tried to convince herself that they watched her or even looked at her. The girl knew that she’d been too hopeful. But now… she didn’t really know what to think. This wasn’t like the past. He was watching her and she wasn’t imagining it. At least, that’s what she thought.
This year, they were only in two classes together. But, they walked to the same building twice during the day: her class would be on the second floor while his was on the first and vice versa. They never walked together. However, they were always near each other; never close enough in case one of them was slowed down and they would end up walking next to each other.
The boy made her nervous. Whenever she walked by, she never looked at his face, as she did others. As she walked to her Biology class, he was opening his locker. The girl watched him out of the corner of her eye and gave a small start of surprise when he glanced her way. Did he know she was there or was he just looking for his friend? It had also happened the day before. Everyday she passed him on the way to that class and everyday he would look over his shoulder.
Later that day she was walking to another class located in a separate building from the rest of the school. The boy was ahead of her, as he always was walking to these classes. They had just taken a test in their previous class; one that they had together. The girl bit her lip when the boy’s friends stopped him and asked him how the test was. He stopped and told them, but when he went to start walking again, they continued to talk to him. The girl almost stopped so she wouldn’t have to pass so close to him. But she then reminded herself that if it were any other kid, she would continue walking. The girl looked the other way and walked past him, quickening her pace. As she walked through the door she glanced back through the glass panel on the door and saw him watching her. The girl smiled to herself and went to class feeling content and somewhat satisfied.
Although she didn’t know how it would turn out or what would happen, she was fine with it. All she could do now was watch and wait.

The girl, as written in the story, is a person I know, but she wishes to stay anonymous. The boy, same as the girl, is written anonymously.