Smoke | Teen Ink

Smoke

By hadiya.r14 BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Alabama
hadiya.r14 BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Alabama

"Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes by you so quickly you hardly catch it going."

Jack twirled the lighter in his hand like a ready to be flamed baton. A cigarette hung between his lips waiting for the burning passion to rage, and with a lustful drag, leave the infernal waste of it wrapped in a carcinogenic package safely deposited into his lungs. The cloud of smoke he exhales spells out a deadly threat of what's to come. But Jack is tired, and life is dreadful, and he wants it to end so badly. It would be more effective and much less painful to blast lead into his brain leaving cranial debris splattered across the wall. But he doesn't have the guts. He's scared. So he blames it on the cigs, and he's technically not committing suicide. What a sideways Christian tale.
Lemmy grabbed his hand before the fire caught, and she said, "You're killing yourself, Jack. I want to be with you forever."
"Forever is for the lighthearted fool, darling. The world kills so many lives a day. I'm just one less." He sparked again, and it was the warmth he had been missing inside him.
"You're saying that I cant do anything to stop you from feeling this way? You used to be alive and full of excitement for what's to come. I want him. I want the man i fell in love with."
"I am that man. He's just a little banged up is all." He said as he took another drag.
She sighed. "Yeah, he's turned into a vegetable. Practically a zombie. It's like your body is a hollow shell making home to no man. You're already gone." She snatches the cigarette from his mouth. "You don't need this." It slips from her fingers and falls to the ground and its guts spew out under her crushing boot.
Jack grasped onto her arm desperately. His eyes were wide and bloodshot from the liquor. "I can't quit, Lemmy. I can't quit it like i can't quit you. You made me a different man. Not this man that you see here, but the one you loved."
"That i still love."
"But everything has gone to s***. And i suspect fate has a brutal death wish for me. But it left me you, and i knew that if you got tired of this soulless sheath, you would leave, and i was preparing myself for half the hurt you would leave me with."
"I'll never leave you, not in this state! I want to see that beautiful man that holds my heart emerge from his cave again."
Their kiss tasted of smoke but was full of promise. Jack was free again, and Lemmy found her heart in a good place.

I wrote this last night when i was feeling creative. Enjoy. Hey maybe you'll even get something out of this.