My Mother's Arms | Teen Ink

My Mother's Arms

By WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other
WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other

If you keep writing, you will pick up structure. You will pick up form

- Richard Matheson

I woke up in my Mommy’s arms; she smiled at my tiny face. She rocked me to sleep on a wooden rocking chair. I saw the name ‘Jasper’ on my blanket, so I guessed it was my name. She fed me a bottle of warm milk while telling stories of lions, warriors, and princesses. She whispered into my ear, saying I’ll be big and strong like the warriors in her stories. With that amusing story, I fell asleep.

I took my first steps out on the green lawn. Daddy clapped his hands to me; telling me to come to him. He and Mommy anxiously waited for me on the other side of the lawn. I slowly stood up, stretched out one foot, then the next, and the next; step by step. I was almost there when I landed straight onto my bum - hard. I started crying and bawling for Mommy. She quickly came to my rescue and took me in her arms, patting my bum, murmuring, “Shhhh, everything’s all right Jasper, stop crying now.” She sang me a relaxing lullaby and I took a long nap in her soft arms.

It was my first day of kindergarten and I felt like going back home. My Mommy sent me to school, but I was nervous. Many eager kids lined up at the door, but I was afraid to go near it. I saw my Mommy from the car. She came up to me and gave me a warm hug in her arms and a kiss on the head.
“Don’t worry Jasper,” she said brightly, “you’ll make a lot of new friends at the school and your teacher will take good care of you ‘kay?
I hesitated, but nodded my head. The bell rung and I made my way into the line of kids. I looked back and saw my Mommy wave goodbye and gave me an encouraging smile. Just then, a girl named Elizabeth said hi to me. Maybe school life wasn’t so bad after all.

My IPod was on max volume. I listened to some Drake and Linkin park tunes to calm me down. High school was freaking hard and I started growing hair in places I didn’t think were possible. I was just another troublemaker who always skipped class.
I fought with Dad a lot nowadays. I didn’t know why, but we weren’t that close anymore. We just didn’t seem to get along that well and we argue every day. My mom cried every night we fought – when everyone was sleeping. One night, I found her sobbing on the sofa. Her eyes were bloodshot red, but she still managed to show that kind smile of hers. She put me in her arms like she did when I was a baby.
“Please don’t blame your Father Jasper. It wasn’t his fault. Just try to get along with him okay?”
I thought about it. “Okay.”

I was standing in a church, facing a multi colored mirror shining in the distance. I wore a crisp and clean black tuxedo, a white rose pinned onto my left chest, and my hair gelled back. Many people sat in their seats, wearing polished suits and dresses. I saw my Mom and Dad, snapping photos of me in my tux, and avidly waiting for my big day.

The church door creaked and the crowd turned their attention to a woman in an elegant white dress. The organ started playing as a parade of flower girls and maids flocked her down the grand church aisle. Her face was hidden behind a white veil and a few maids behind her helped carry her dress.

The organ music stopped as the pastor made his way to the altar. I faced the young woman and lifted her veil. Her bright green eyes met mine. She exchanged her vows and I was next.

“Jasper. Do you take Elizabeth as your lawfully wedded wife?” the pastor asked.

“I do,” I answered.

“Then you may kiss the bride.”

I kissed her and the audience erupted into a wave of claps. I took Elizabeth’s hand and walked down the aisle with her. We stepped outside on the front foyer, where everyone gathered for a wedding picture. My Mom, now with wrinkles and grey hair, sent me off with a hug of luck in her small arms. It was the happiest day of my life.

I quickly ran through the pouring rain. Water fell onto my balding head. I entered her house. Mother had failing health issues. I trudged up the wooden staircase and ran to her room.
My Mother lay calmly on her soft bed. The drug bottles, pain killers, and prescriptions littered on the floor indicated she had taken her medicine. Her face was tired and weary. It’s been 20 long years since the wedding and she was dying. I knelt beside her; she touched my face.

She whispers, “my oh my, how much have you grown.” She puts me in her arms and rubs my head. “Jasper…” She paused. She wanted to say something but didn’t have the strength. Her eyes closed shut and her body turned cold.
I called an ambulance, but she had lost her pulse by then. I rested my head on her warm arms. Tears fell down my cheek, on a cold, rainy night.

I went back home, devastated about Mother’s passing. I remembered the good times we used to make. It was so long ago, I couldn’t remember myself. I went upstairs, Elizabeth was in bed. I decided to take a peek into the nursery, where my baby girl slept soundly in her cradle.

I took her into my arms and kissed her forehead. She was warm like my Mother. I rocked her on a small wooden chair, the wind echoed into the night. I wrapped her in my arms, like my mother did so many years ago.

Dedicated to Mother's everywhere

on Aug. 3 2012 at 10:29 am

- Richard Matheson

Alright. Thanks for the help. I'll make the changes.

PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
Well since this is in first person, when you refer to Mother and Father, it's correct to capitalize them. But as soon as you add "your" or "my" in front of one of them, it's lowercased. Also, you forgot to capitilize the "park" in "Linkin Park". I skimmed it over and that's what I found but it'd be smart to look over it one more time just in case!

- Richard Matheson

By the way, could you point out some grammatical errors in this. Greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is an incredibly intimate but simple story. I love it! It definetely should have been published if there weren't a few grammar mistakes. By the way, I love the name Jasper. The only odd thing about this story is that Jasper had a "baby girl" 20 years after his marriage? The timing seems weird. Anyways, this is beautiful. Please keep writing.

austenite GOLD said...
on Jul. 15 2012 at 10:24 am
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

...one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love....I love...I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. -Mr. Darcy

I really, really like this story! One thing I particularly like about it is its length: by being a relatively short story, it shows how quickly life can pass by! Wonderful job portraying emotions and characters.  Loved it.

ShadowRealms said...
WSwilliams:D YOU'RE SPREADING THE WORD ABOUT ME:D THANKS!! I have to go do that for you now ten times over!!:)

- Richard Matheson

Thank you! I'll continue to look at your work as well if I have time. Also, I know this very good writer named "Shadowrealms". Go check read some of her work and tell her I sent you. ;)

on May. 19 2012 at 10:19 am
jackiee129 PLATINUM, Kent, Connecticut

"It makes me happy when I see teenage girls who clearly don't fit in, gives me hope that the future might still have personality" - Haley Williams

“You are not your bra-size, nor are you the width of your waist, nor are you the slenderness of your calves. You are not your hair color, your skin color, nor are you a shade of lipstick. Your shoe-size is of no consequence. You are not defined by the amount of attention you get from males, females, or any combination thereof. You are not the number of sit-ups you can do, nor are you the number of calories in a day. You are not your mustache. You are not the hair on your legs. You are not a little red dress. You are no amalgam of these things. You are the content of your character. You are the ambitions that drive you. You are the goals that you set. You are the things that you laugh at and the words that you say. You are the thoughts you think and the things you wonder. You are beautiful and desirable not for the clique you attend, but for the spark of life within you that compels you to make your life a full and meaningful one. You are beautiful not for the shape of the vessel, but for the volume of the soul it carries.”

This is so sweet and moving. I like how you go through every stage of life and then carry it on with Jasper's children. Your writing is very concise and powerful and I love reading your stuff!

ShadowRealms said...
Well, to my favorite author, you have captured my heart yet again. This had great character developement, yet there was a constant presence (his love for his mommy). Take a bow, this was amazing. Where it's not my favorite out of everything you've done, it has an amazing concept and I love it:D

on May. 14 2012 at 10:35 am
ScubaDiver GOLD, Billingham, Other

When Life gives you a hundred reasons to cry show life you have a thousand reasons to smile
Work Like you dont need the money love like you've never been hurt dance like theres no one in the room
You have enemies, good, that means you've fought for

Awwr this story is os sweet. You're an amazing writer and I cant think of anything to improve it. Well done!