What If | Teen Ink

What If

By youngwriter10 SILVER, Redmond, Oregon
youngwriter10 SILVER, Redmond, Oregon

"We've all heard that we have to learn from our mistakes, but I think it's more important to learn from successes. If you learn only from your mistakes, you are inclined to learn only errors."
-Norman Vincent Peale

What if we could see into the future? What if all are questions were answered? There would be no surprises, no flutter of butterflies in stomachs when you first get kissed or when you get engaged. It’s all expected. That’s not how it is meant to be but I wish, just for this one thing that it was how it was meant to be.

I don’t understand. I don’t want to really. For the first time ever I wish I could’ve seen this coming, could’ve prepared myself. I didn’t have to go to class I could’ve stayed at my apartment home sick. But that’s not what happened and there was no way to go back. My heart pounded in my stomach, the darkness was so scary. They say that when you’re a coma there is no pain, no feeling or emotion. The truth is pain, feeling and emotion are overpowering when you’re in a coma. I tried to open my eyes I had always hated black and white movies but would appreciate the second color now. The sound of my heart pumping was so loud and elaborated, I was glad, at least it was pumping. I was trying not to go back to the memories but there was nothing else to do.

******
“Hey I’m off to class!” I shouted to my roommates.
“Bye Ashley!” Brittany called after me.
I walked out the door. The warm spring breeze hit my face. My finger skimmed over my car key, I decided not to drive. As I walked down the side walk I slipped my hot pink earphones in my ear. Jack Johnson’s Breakdown came on; I was in the greatest mood. I got to the cross walk. My hand reached out to the crossing button but there was no need, there was a red light. I walked across and just as I got to the other side the red light flashed to green. The same thing happened at the next cross walk. I was on campus and close to my class. I got to the last cross walk and pushed the button. As soon as the red light flashed on I began to walk across the road. The lanes were pretty much empty. I looked down at my iPod; the son what if was playing. I looked up, bright car lights and then darkness and pain.

******

I wanted so badly to cry. My heart slowed down and I struggled to breath. I wanted to go up to heaven and have all pain go away. I tried to hold on though I knew how my mom would feel and my fiancé and everyone else. My last heartbeat was the worst to endure and I couldn’t hold on.

I wish I would've written more but I couldn't think up anything else. :)

marissadele PLATINUM, Danbury, Connecticut

"If you know how you feel, and so clearly what you need to say, you'll know it. I don't think you should wait. I think you should speak now." -Taylor Swift

Nice job! I really liked the beginning =) 5/5!

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Really good! Did you know you get banned from the chat if you post too much? I certainly didn't....and I have no idea how long I'm banned for...ug. Well, anyway, good stuff!

SilverHedgehog17 SILVER, Fairfield, Connecticut

Oh, it's a case of they think I'll think that they'll do A, so they'll do B because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then they'll do A after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

I loved the whole thing especially the last part good job

WrittenEmotions PLATINUM, Fairhope, Alabama

The only people who don't get anywhere are the people who don't dream of a better place for themselves...

This is great!! Finish!(: 5/5

.king. SILVER said...
.king. SILVER, Yeux Bien Tres Bien, Other

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wow, i absolutely love it, the endings really had strong taste of the worlds and living emotions, i honestly give you 5/5 !

Mike6546 SILVER, North Carolina, North Carolina

those who mind don\'t matter and those who matter don\'t mind

This is really haunting, i want to read more about it!

Musicescape BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
This was really sad. It was good though. I think you should try expanding on it a bit more.

Shorty5 BRONZE said...
Shorty5 BRONZE, Danville, Vermont

To many too count!

Amazing emotion in your writing piece!!!

lookingformargo SILVER, Ithaca, New York

A child said, "What is the grass?" fetching it to me with full hands; How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is any more than he. I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven... and now it seems to me the beautiful uncut hair of graves. -Walt Whitman, Leaves Of Grass

We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and falling. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail. -Looking For Alaska

Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made out of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it, Q: look at all those cul-de-sacs, those streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters. -Paper Towns

It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world. -Paper Towns

Elsewhere the landscape is more frank.
The light falls without letup, blindingly. - A Life, Sylvia Plath

That was really sad but amazing. The concept and emotions were all really good. Keep writing!

TapTap SILVER said...
TapTap SILVER, New Berlin, Wisconsin

Dream as if you'll live forever, love like there is no tomorrow, dance like there is no one watching.

Very cool, love the concept 5/5 :)

Sarah.Ellis2014 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

Life can't ever really defeat a writer who is in love with writing, for life itself is a writer's lover until death - fascinating, cruel, lavish, warm, cold, treacherous, constant. ~Edna Ferber

It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don't give a damn what you say, they're going to write. ~Sinclair Lewis

Like it, very creative:)

youngwriter10 SILVER, Redmond, Oregon

-Norman Vincent Peale

yep i well and thanks for the input i think youre right. :)

Shmelmo GOLD said...
Shmelmo GOLD, Elma, Iowa

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

I really like this - it has a lot of emotion in it. I think you could have added to it by giving more information about before the accident and then the family/friends reaction to it. My favorite part was "I had always hated black and white movies but would really appreciate the second color right now." Cool comparison. Could you check out my poem - Once a Survivor, Forever a Fighter.