Rumor Has It... | Teen Ink

Rumor Has It...

By FluteFreak SILVER, Auburn, Indiana
FluteFreak SILVER, Auburn, Indiana

"Insanity just adds a little spice to life!" -Me

It all started with a word.
Noise in the hallways surrounds her, but she takes no part in it. People pass her by, mere blurs of color filling her vision anymore. Sometimes they laughed, sometimes they pointed, but their lips always formed her name—sometimes pairing it with a few other choice words.

Hands come from behind, shoving her forward. She lurches, catching sight of an outstretched foot too late. Her books clatter to the floor, and she falls hard onto the unforgiving tile. More laughter.

She scrambles to gather up her books, half have already been kicked down the hall. Moments later, she is back up, shoulders hunched, head down, hoping to be ignored as she once was.

She reaches her locker. The girl standing in front of her turns, acknowledging her existence for the first time in a week. The girl’s eyes were bright with anger, accusing wordlessly—for once. She shoves past her. A familiar voice calls out another name the girl has become accustomed too.

Tears sting at her eyes, but she ignores them and hurriedly stuffs books into an already crowded locker. There was nothing she could do.

She walks out to the buses. Chatter still surrounds her, meaningless buzzing now. She watches a group of guys board her bus, the little hope she had of getting home unmolested sinking; things were never good when they came as a group.

Legs shaking slightly, she steps onto the bus, sliding into a front seat. The bus driver frowns at her; the front seats are usually reserved for younger kids. But, she doesn’t want to move back. In the back was the group of guys, who were already laughing at some obscene joke. She didn’t want to move back.

The bus driver’s frown deepens and he turns to tell her to move. She quickly hurries back a few seats, keeping her frame as hunched over as possible. It was only a matter of time before they saw her. Movement stirs in the back, moving forward.

A half hour passes and she steps off the bus, scurrying into her house. She enters, breathing a small sigh of relief as she does. Finally, safe…
***
It was only a matter of time before the words of other students begin to echo in her mind.

It had all started with one word. Then, that word transformed itself into a sentence, then a rumor, and then a discussion. But, she didn’t know that. She didn’t care; all she knew was that her name was on everyone’s lips.

Her backpack slips to the carpeted floor of her living room and she walks upstairs to her bathroom.

It all started with one word, just one simple word. But, like a weed, it grew, multiplied…and it had never stopped.

She arranges her supplies on the bathroom sink—as she always does.

The simple word persisted. It merged itself with her name. Discussions were rampant in the school. Everyone knew. Or thought they knew. Did it really matter which?

She looks at herself in the mirror. Her face was plain: pale cheeks, red lips, eyes that seemed slightly too close together. Was she really that different?

She looks down at the bathroom sink. The metal stares up at her, calling.

It was just one word, a simple, plain word. But, it grew, morphing itself, twisting around her name, rushing through mouths like an unstoppable force. A simple word started it all—just one.
She picks up the knife.

on May. 25 2012 at 8:42 pm
DreamingOutQuiet SILVER, Round Rock, Texas

"Time and the bell have buried the day,
The black cloud carries the sun away" - Elliot

Oh if life where made of moments, even now and then a bad one. Oh, if life where made of moments then we wouldn't know we had one. - Into the Woods

awesome. Though now Im curious about the rumor(:

on May. 25 2012 at 7:30 pm
AbigailElizabeth SILVER, Medina, Minnesota

"Scars are souvenirs you never lose" - Goo Goo Dolls

It stopped too soon!

on May. 25 2012 at 2:12 pm
StellaDPloom SILVER, Hudson, New Hampshire

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs."
~Stephen King

This is so amazing and well-written!

on Apr. 30 2012 at 1:12 pm
ScubaDiver GOLD, Billingham, Other

When Life gives you a hundred reasons to cry show life you have a thousand reasons to smile
Work Like you dont need the money love like you've never been hurt dance like theres no one in the room
You have enemies, good, that means you've fought for

I love this! The way you described everything is amazing and you've kept it very realistic. I didn't want to stop reading.

on Apr. 30 2012 at 1:12 pm
ScubaDiver GOLD, Billingham, Other

on Apr. 20 2012 at 11:17 am
Dylan.Burkhart SILVER, Evansville, Indiana
I really like this piece... I love your ability to show the reader... It is very apparent in the third to last paragraph.... Truely strong..

on Apr. 13 2012 at 11:09 am
Allicat001 SILVER, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Love is not someone you can live with, love is someone you can't live without."

"Always stand up for what's right even if that means you're standing alone."

You are an absolutely amazing writer!  This piece was flawless, you did an amazing job describing your protagonist's emotions and describing the rumour being spread about her, great job!

on Mar. 5 2012 at 2:26 pm
aurum_angel BRONZE, Hingham, Massachusetts

'I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you–Nobody–Too?
Then there’s a pair of us!
Don’t tell! they’d advertise–you know!

How dreary–to be–Somebody!
How public–like a Frog-
To tell one’s name–the livelong June-
To an admiring Bog!'
-Emily Dickinson

The main character reminds me of myself... except without the suicide.

Anyways, great job! A really realistic story with lots of great descriptions! Keep writing!

on Feb. 7 2012 at 4:59 pm
SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

Wow, I can relate to this. I didn't expect that with the title. But it is interesting at least. I think that the part about the group of boys getting onto the bus seemed a little random, and should have had more detail to support its importance in the story. Other than that it was well written. Keep on writing!

on Jan. 29 2012 at 5:22 pm
seaofsorrows GOLD, Lynnwood, Washington

Love. A four letter word, short but true. With no hope of being defined. But what's new?

-S. Jordan

This was very well written. Very realistic and true. The only thing I would have hoped for is more even if a short line of what she was feeling since it is mostly based on what is happening to her. Loved it though!

on Jan. 14 2012 at 12:34 pm
SarasotaWonder BRONZE, Cumberland, Maine
I thought oyu opened the piece extremely well! And that stood out to me. You also did a good job of not making it too specific, but mysterious which made it an overal better piece. Great work!

on Dec. 29 2011 at 7:49 pm
Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

Whoa! This was suspenseful and emotional. I love how your story flowed so well and your descriptions were top notch. Great job! *****

on Dec. 7 2011 at 4:54 pm
LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

"Don't let your fears slow you down. Instead, chase them down and beat them."

This story kepy me on the edge of my seat the entire time! It was so good. Can you tell me if she actually does it? And what one word was it? In one word, this story is....AMAZING!

on Dec. 2 2011 at 5:57 pm
Kitty.Meow.Daly SILVER, Clarksville, Tennessee

"Cowards die many times before their deaths, The valiant never taste of death but once." - Spakespeare
Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something ~Wesley
Dare to move~ A Walk to Remember

Oh my goodness!!!! I was so caught up in the story I was devistated when it ended!!! I want to know if she does it or not...