Fire and Ice | Teen Ink

Fire and Ice

By FluteFreak SILVER, Auburn, Indiana
FluteFreak SILVER, Auburn, Indiana

"Insanity just adds a little spice to life!" -Me

You’re standing at the edge of the football field. It’s almost time to perform. Pure terror and fear ricochet through your heart. Incomplete thoughts fly through your head: Watch space and—make sure you—don’t get too close—remember—don’t go to—can’t let—new charts! You take a breath and try to calm yourself down. Calm becomes nearly impossible as your legs begin to shake. Calm. Heart on fire, mind on ice. You repeat this over and over in your head. Heart on fire, mind on ice.

This is what you’re in marching band for: this adrenaline rush. This is why you suffered in torturous band camp: this chance to perform. This is why you gave up your entire summer: this one chance to prove you’re the best with no questions asked.

Heart on fire, mind on ice. Your director’s words ring in your head. Heart on fire, mind on ice.

“Please, help us welcome the Baron Brigade!” the announcer shouts. The crowd erupts into screams and cheers as you step onto the field. You can’t let them down. Heart on fire, mind on ice.

There’s no going back. No second chances and no do-overs. Heart on fire, mind on ice.

“Baron brigade, the field is yours for Class B competition!”

This is your one chance to perform. Your one chance to be the BEST you can ever possibly be. Your one chance to become legendary. This is what it’s all for. Make it worth it. Heart on fire, mind on ice.

Imagine looking out onto the field at your first competition...

on Apr. 28 2012 at 11:38 am
C.K.Snow SILVER, Morden, Other
Well done! I can really feel the emotion in this piece. Definately 5 out of 5!

SarasotaWonder BRONZE, Cumberland, Maine
What intensity in this! You really depicted the nervous emoitions well! I haven't ever been in the marching band....but I play golf and know what that feels like :) Awesome work!