Breaking Point | Teen Ink

Breaking Point

August 24, 2011
By ginger1993 GOLD, Colorado Springs, Colorado
ginger1993 GOLD, Colorado Springs, Colorado
11 articles 0 photos 27 comments

It happened the night of the junior prom. The night where everyone in Baker High found out the truth about my boyfriend Sam and the pain he put me through. Through the whole night everything felt like a sudden dream. Sam looked like a movie star, black button down shirt, black slacks, with his curly hair in his hazel eyes. I felt close to a princess with him in my arms. As the music led us to a great night nothing could get any better then this. I pressed a kiss to his cheek.
“You look amazing, Lexi.” Sam nuzzled his lips into my hair. I tried not to blush as some girls glanced over at us. I squeezed him closer to me.
“Well you look handsome if I do say myself Mr. Collins.” I giggle.
He kissed my temple. “I think we make the perfect couple here tonight.”
Tonight was like a miracle. I wore a tight violet strapless dress, a dress I could finally put on after all the marks faded away from my skin. Sam’s moods where calm, and when we hung out these past couple of weeks, he seemed to be the guy I met freshman year, not the one who made me scared if I said something to upset him. Both of us agreed tonight would be just the two of us having fun and no fighting what so ever. Lots of the kids from our school went out for all these crazy dances. If you would have asked me three years ago if I would ever come to these events, I would tell you you’re crazy.
Sam wiggled his sexy eyebrows down at me.
“What are you thinking?” I ask.
“You look so hot in that dress,” he eyed my breasts. I slapped his shoulder playfully. “Hey I’m your boyfriend; it’s my job to say these things.”
I roll my eyes. “Shut up,”
Sam glances over my shoulder and his smile suddenly drops from his face. His lips tighten into a line; his eyes hint a sign of annoyance.
“What’s wrong, baby?” my voice shakes.
“Nothing,” he says but still looking away from me. “I’m going to go get us some punch,”
“Okay,” the moment he slipped out of my arms part of me empty. The dance floor was pretty much full with the popular kids, including my twin brother, Lucas. He held a thin blonde girl in his arms looking completely dazed. Lucas and I have always been close, but since I started dating Sam we sort of drifted apart. Sam doesn’t like Lucas so much because he’s popular, captain of the football team and basically is an *ss to anyone who’s an *ss to him.
For a second, Lucas took his eyes away from his date to wave a hand in my direction. It felt nice to have him here just in case a fight breaks out. Couple feet away from my brother happen to be two of my best friends, Peyton and Lindsay, dancing with their dates as well and looking like they where having the time of their lives. I slowly made my way over to them. Peyton greeted me first.
“Hey,” her blonde hair bouncing on her shoulders. “Are you having fun?”
“Yes,” I nod with a full white smile. “So far so good,”
“Sam cleans up pretty nice,” Lindsay says slipping out of her date’s arms. “Did he buy a razor?”
My friends found Sam…unique from their taste in guys. Both of my friends enjoys preppy, tall, who enjoyed going to see the football games while I liked having a guy full of mystery. That’s one of the reasons way I fell for Sam in the first place. He was full of mystery when we first started talking in AP English last year.
“Where is your boy toy anyway?” Peyton asked.
I pointed to the drink station near the exit. “Getting us some punch,”
“I see you two are having fun for once.” Lindsay says. She never grew fond of Sam since I told her he asked me out for the first time. “All you ever do is fight,”
“We have issues like any other couple here at Baker.” I snap. I hated the way Lindsay was complaining about my relationship when she hasn’t even had a real boyfriend before. Peyton shifted from one foot to the other. “Have you seen Bryson yet?”
“No,” I bit the bottom of my lip. “Why would I worry about him?”
“I saw you guys at the party the other night,” Peyton said matter of flatly.
“He’s just a friend,” I protest. Lindsay rolls her eyes turning her back on me and back into her dates’ arm again. My stomach felt sick. Lindsay was starting to p*ss me off.
“What’s her problem?” I ask Peyton when Lindsay is away. Peyton shrugged a shoulder.
“She’s just worried about you, Lexi.” she said.
“I’m perfectly fine,” I say. “She doesn’t have to worry,”
Peyton nods, “I know but, you know how she can be. Don’t let her get to you, alright? I’ll call you later?”
“Okay,” someone taps my shoulder from behind. “Took you long enough,” I say expecting it to be Sam with the drinks, instead its Bryson McNeal. The hottest guy in the school, and my oldest friend since birth, His bushy blonde strands of hair dipped into his eyes and I noticed for the first time he’s wearing a dress shirt and tie. My heart begins to race and I wish he would just leave before Sam comes back.
“Hey,” Bryson says.
“Hi,” chills run up and down my spine.
“Um…” Bryson clears his throat, lost for words. Glancing over his shoulder, Sam was making his way back over me and I could already see the rage in him. This wasn’t going to be good.
“You look beautiful,” Bryson said. “I like your dress.”
I give him a sweet smile. “Thank you, so do you Bryson.”
“Dances aren’t really my thing,” he smirks, glancing down at his tie.
“Are you here with anyone?” I wonder. Bryson didn’t have a girlfriend or far as I knew. I hadn’t really hung out with him lately since the library, and someone told Sam which left me with a light bruise on my cheek.
“Nah,”
“Are you kidding me? Any girl in the school would be dying to come to a dance with you!”
He shrugged. “I guess nobody caught my eye,” he said this looking straight at me.
“I’m sorry,”
“No worries,” he held out a rough hand. “You want to dance with me?”
“I’m actually-”
“She’s taken, Bryson.” Sam snapped at my friend. He moved so close to Bryson’s face that their noses almost touched. My heart pounded against my chest, please do not fight, and please do not fight.
“Sam,” I pleaded reaching for his hand but he slaps it away. “Please don’t do anything stupid.”
“Stay away from her,” Sam said ignoring me. Bryson straighten out his back, making himself a few inches taller than Sam.
“She’s my friend,” Bryson says, “Don’t tell me I can’t ask her to dance as a friend.”
Sam snorted. “She’s my girlfriend. If you wanted to dance with a girl you should’ve brought your own.”
“Stop it,” I raise my voice, glancing back and forth between the two of them. “It’s not a big deal.”
Sam grabs my arm tightly, “We’re leaving,” he announces.
“Wait-”
“You don’t own her!” Bryson calls while I’m dragged towards the exit where we enter the hallway. I test all my strength to get my arm out of his grip but he was too strong.
Sam was always too strong for me. Once in the hallway, he pushed me against the brick wall trapping me with both of his arms beside me. I was stuck but my heart beat became uneven just as the perfect night had become a nightmare waiting to happen. He cupped my chin with his fingers forceful, compelling me to stare straight into his face.
“Sam, stop it, you’re hurting me!” I cry. He grabbed the front of my dress pulling to away from the wall then slamming my head hard up against the cool brick. My hands reach the back of my head where I felt warm sticky liquid spreading on my fingertips. Oh. My.
“This is your f***ing fault!” he roars. “Why was Mr. Popular talking to you?”
“H-h- he’s my friend.” I mumble. “I was being nice,”
“D*mn you,” he pounded his fist into the wall, luckily not my face just yet. “Don’t you know I’m the one who brought you here?”
“Yes,”
“Then why were you talking to him! Do you like him or something?”
“I already told you I liked him as a friend. Can you please calm down, Sam.”
Slap.
“Don’t you ever tell me to calm down, you hear me?”
Slap.
“Do you hear me, Lexi?”
Slap.
I felt my legs become numb from underneath me and I sank to the ground. The world becomes dizzy, like I had just got off a wild ride at the Adventure land park. I held the side of my face where he slapped me. He reached down, pulling me to my feet.
“Do you love me?”
“Sam, you know I do.” I cry.
Slap.
“Say you love me, Lexi.”
“I love you.” I say lifeless.
Slap. “If you loved me you wouldn’t be talking with Bryson. Now we’re leaving.”
“No,” I say as he backing away from me. He turns similar to a loin when he’s sensed his prey.
“What did you just say?”
I weakly lift my head to his. “I said I’m not leaving, not with you, Sam.”
“Excuse me?” he seemed surprised by my words.
“I just said I didn’t want to leave with you.”
“Stop being stupid, Lexi and let’s go!”
He reached for my wrist. “No!”
“Hey!” a deep voice called from behind us. I closed my eyes in relief. Someone finally caught him hitting me. Every nerve in my body froze as I noticed the music from the gym had suddenly stopped and all the kids where emerging from the doors. However, only two guys caught my attention. Sam jerks back from me.
“Get the h*ll away from my sister!” Lucas shouts. Coming at full speed towards Sam, his fist high in the air ready for the biggest battle of his life, Lucas blows Sam onto the ground. “Don’t touch my sister, *sshole!” I slipped to the ground, my head throbbing with pain; I just wanted to go to sleep. Sleeping always makes the Sam’s marks go away.
Bryson is right behind Lucas. He sees the two of them fighting then to me up against the wall and makes his way over to me.
“Lexi,” his voice sounds so distant. “Lexi, you’re going to be okay.”
“Call Nine one-one!” a girl shouts. I could hear whispers around me, the punches of Lucas and Sam going after each other, I could taste blood in my mouth.
“Stay with me, Lexi.” Bryson says. “You’re going to me okay, I promise.”
“It hurts,” I mumble as just my eyes are now closing. “Make the pain stop,”
“I will,” he brushed my hair out off my temple. “I promise.”
Then I found myself in a world of blackness.


The author's comments:
i hope from this people won't be afraid to tell when someone they know is getting hurt.