Text Me | Teen Ink

Text Me

August 2, 2011
By Sammmmmmmm GOLD, Jefferson, Maryland
Sammmmmmmm GOLD, Jefferson, Maryland
17 articles 10 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Strength is hard to get, and easy to use
Don't leave the ones you love for the ones you like ; they, too, will leave you for the ones they love


Boy, was I sure dumb for deciding to come to this nerd convention thing.

I woke up at 6:45 for some lame college fair that had only one college of the ten there that I was interested in. My shoes were giving me blisters, and as usual, my grandfather was being his rude, impatient self.

To the society known as National Society of High School Scholars, regardless the fact that this may be a good opportunity, who cares! They barely had any colleges, and I was dying with all these bodies smashed together into the small rooms.

The only plus side was that I found a cute nerd, who kind of resembled a young Greek god with his tanned skin, curly hair, gorgeous smile, and dark brown eyes. When I was in line for one of the college's booths, he quick slipped in front of me to grab a piece of paper. He had a nice deep voice, too. And he seemed pretty nice, seeing as the fact that when he got his paper, instead of just saying thanks, he was all, “thanks, I appreciate it!” and gave me a big, white, perfect smile.

But me, with frizzy blond hair and not the best figure in the world... well, let's just say the red lipstick I had applied that day would do me no good compared to other girls he has seen in his lifetime.

And how I had gotten my bangs perfectly straight that morning would go to complete waste as my grandfather and I walked a few blocks in the blistering, late-July sun to see what the rage about Georgetown cupcakes was.

The cupcakes were not worth the frizz and curliness that were brought to my hair due to the sweat dripping on my pale skin.



My grandfather and I had settled into a booth, waiting for the waitress of the buffet restaurant inside the college to bring us our check. The cute, Greek-looking guy I had seen earlier sat in the booth next to ours with his dad, waiting for their drinks, and I took another look at him.

Wait, wait, wait. Did I know him?! Yes, yes I did! He worked at the camp I was a leader-in-training for back in June. Oh my gosh, I actually knew someone! I might be entertained for the remainder of the nerd convention, oh happy day!

As my grandfather and I got up, I quickly went to Greek guy's booth, and asked, “Hey, did you work at Camp Wabanna this summer?”

The guy looked up, and gave a big smile as he said, “No, I didn't.”

I swallowed, and replied with what I hoped looked like a sane smile, “Oh! Sorry, you look like someone I know.”

He chuckled, and said, “It's alright.”

I gave one last smile and made a beeline after my grandfather.

Now Greek guy probably thought I was insane, or some w**** that wanted an excuse to talk to him or something. My cheeks probably looked like tomatoes when he said no. How could he have not worked at Wabanna? He looked JUST LIKE HIM. This sucked. Now any chance of being entertained during the ceremony, or maybe getting checked out by Greek guy was gone, because now he probably thought I was a delusional, blind freak.

But I didn't have much time to think about his opinions seeing as I had to go in to the ballroom for some long speech about how much of an honor it was to be part of NSHSS, even when it really wasn't and it was all a matter of if you decided to pay twenty-five bucks to be a member or not.

I had to endure some chick sing opera, and a million of speeches thanking the NSHSS for an amazing scholarship opportunity, and then finally, the dumb thing was O-V-E-R.

The only good part about the speech thing was learning about an awesome online oceanography class that I could take.

“Sam, stay here. I'm going to get the brochure about the online classes,” my grandpa said once we had stepped out of the ballroom.

I nodded and waited, checking my phone and the few texts I had received. I put my phone away and looked around. Then I noticed Greek guy coming straight towards me.

CRAP!

I averted my eyes, pretending to just look around anywhere, almost as if looking for someone.

He then came right in front of me and I had to look at him then. He had a big grin on his face, and he took my hand, and put a crumpled up piece of paper in it, saying, “Text me sometime, then maybe you can tell me about that camp of yours.”

Greek guy then winked and walked away, as if nothing had happened at all.

NSHSS, I know I rat on you a lot, but really, you are quite the miracle worker.


The author's comments:
this happened to me, except for the number part. i was unfortunately not blessed enough for Greek guy's number...