Forgive me, but I can't... | Teen Ink

Forgive me, but I can't...

By BWrainbows BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
BWrainbows BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"It's not really my fault if people think I'm weird."

I smiled and looked up at the wide New Mexico sky. I felt her squeeze my hand and laughed a little, intertwining our fingers. She shook her head a little as we walked down the street.

“You need to get your head out of the clouds, babe.” She told me with a small smile.

I just shrugged, swinging our connected hands. She rolled her eyes at me. I slipped my free hand into my pocket, making sure the bracelet was still there. I planned to give it to her when we got to the park. Six months together. It was amazing that someone like her would be like someone like me. I kissed her cheek and watched as her tan face flushed red with embarrassment.

“Where are you taking me?” She asked, trying to shrug off her blush.

“You’ll see.” I told her with a sly smile.

That statement was a lie. An unintentional lie. I had such high hopes for the amazingly sunny day. But they would all be shattered within a matter of seconds. I made a turn and started walking up that street I had walked up so many times before. She giggled, releasing my hand so she could pull up her baggy jeans. At that very moment, there was the clattering of chains and barking and growling. I turned around and saw a pitbull charging at us. I tried to grab her hand to pull her with me as I headed for safety but the dog tackled her to the ground, sinking it’s filthy, sharp teeth into her back. She screamed in agony.

“Tegan! Tegan, please help me!” She shrieked, trying-and failing- to fight of the vicious dog.

Hysteria took over my actions and tears started to roll down my cheeks.

“Help!! Someone please help!!” I screamed, too terrified to approach her.

The dog continued to tear at her clothes and skin, blood staining her beautiful hair. She kept screaming and sobbing.

“Tegan!” She cried out.

I sobbed also. I ran towards the nearest house, saw a shovel, grabbed it and started to beat at the dog with it.

“Get off of her! Get off!” I screamed, tears falling onto the ashphalt.

I finally beat the living crap out of the dog to the point where it fell to the ground whimpering. People started coming out of their houses and crowding. I got on my knees beside her and held her hand.

“Oh God, Mariah. Mariah, please don’t go. Y-You’ll be okay. Hang in there.” I cried.

She looked up at me and there was so much pain in her eyes that my heart just broke in two.

“Someone call an ambulance!” I yelled out, still hysterical

By that time the wail of sirens was already starting to fill the tense air. The paramedics sprinted up with a stretcher and put her on it. They took her back into the ambulance.

“Is she gonna be okay?” I sobbed, grabbing one of them.

“Calm down, sweety. I don’t know but we’ll do what we can for her.” She told me.

I followed them into the back and sat beside the stretcher. All the doctor’s and nurses loaded in also and sped off.

I held on to her hand and with my free hand, I reached into my pocket and pulled out the small ivory bracelet, sliding it onto her bloody wrist.

“I love you.” I whispered, my chest tight as I tried to pull myself together for her.

“I love you too.” She murmured hoarsly, trying to smile through the pain. “Stay strong, love.”

I sobbed. “I can’t. I can’t lose you. Don’t leave me.” I intertwined out fingers. “Please don’t leave me.”