The Torn Coat | Teen Ink

The Torn Coat

December 18, 2010
By 13akellermeier GOLD, Bowling Green, Ohio
13akellermeier GOLD, Bowling Green, Ohio
12 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."


Sitting on my porch, listening to the peaceful laughter of the children swinging or playing on the jungle gym, I pondered ideas of what i would do with another christmas to myself. Nothing but the sounds of perfect harmony. Then i hear two particularly distinct laughs. Rude, inconsiderate laughs that taunt a child sitting alone holding back the tears. "haha ur coat is ripped!" i faintly hear in the distance. The pale, shivering child whispers "I can't get a new coat til next year!" she defensively sniffles. The tattered pink and purple coat has dirt spots and a hole in the arm. The timid little girl holds her arm as she reassures herself aloud, "mom can sew it, dad can mend it" But, as the bell rang for the children to return to class her faith deteriorated. Now I knew what to do. As the next day came about, I spoke to an old friend of mine, a teacher. I got the information i needed and returned to the confines of my home. Weaving, knitting, arts, nad crafts all spread upon my iving room floor. Several days passed upon talking to my old friend and finally i was ready to complete my plan. I piled my boxes and boxes of mystery objects into the old voltswagon and i puttered down the street. After a few more turns I reached my destination. I carefully unloaded each box onto the beatup porch, with chipped paint, and a tattered welcome mat. Once all the brightly colored boxes with curled ribbons were stacked I wrote two simple words: Merry Christmas. Without another moment i drove home to the warm fireplace and a cup of hot cocoa. Once christmas break ended, i saw the little girl once more. Only now, the girl had rosy cheeks, and a slight bounce in her step. I overheard her excitedly tell the news to another girl in her class, "It was like magic! Santa came, with sweaters, hot cocoa, and a christmas tree! And look!...A new winter jacket!" A smile spread across my face, because even though the girl she spoke to rolled her eyes, laughed and walked away, I knew this new rosy cheeked girl would never fade away.