Who do you think I am? | Teen Ink

Who do you think I am?

By Trulie GOLD, Beltsville, Maryland
Trulie GOLD, Beltsville, Maryland

Think you know me? Oh, come on; don’t stare at me like you don’t know what I’m talking about. Yes, you, I’m talking to you. There’s no one else around. You know you were talking about me. And it doesn’t make sense because I don’t know you. I’ve never talked to you before. If I don’t know you, I don’t get how you know me. Stalk people much? No? Then there’s no other way you know me. So don’t talk about me like that.

Am I who you think I am? I don’t know. You tell me. You’re the one saying I’m nerdy, acts stupid, overachiever, airheaded, anti-social, can’t talk, rude, hates people, afraid of everything. I don’t get how you put nerdy and airheaded in the same sentence. Aren’t they opposites? I don’t get how you would say any of this, if there was no evidence of me doing this. Maybe I rubbed you the wrong way. Maybe the impression I give is taken the wrong way. Gosh, don’t you know not to judge until you know someone well? And if even if you do know them well, keep them to yourself? Where were you in kindergarten?

Maybe I’m the opposite of all the things you said. Maybe I’m the best friend you could’ve had. The only one who would’ve listened to you, stayed loyal to you. Kept all your secrets. Wouldn’t make fun of your family when I came over. The life of the party. Someone you always would want to hang out with.

Or not.

But you wouldn’t know because you don’t know me.

So who do you think I am? That tall girl who sits in the back whose iPod is always plugged in? The girl who always wears that pair of Nikes, college T-shirts, and gym shorts with hair in a ponytail? The one at the mall who can’t make up her mind? The one laughing with tons of friends in the Yogi Berry line? The one who always makes jokes? The ideal girl?

Facebook can’t tell you that much. Even reading all the information I put up there won’t give you a full picture of me. Plus for security reasons I don’t put all that I am up there.

Hm, looks like I left you at a loss for words. I knew it. You don’t know me. There are a lot of things I don’t understand… so to keep things simple just shut your mouth.

I wrote this based on the fact that people tend to talk bad about others when they really don't know anything about them at all. It helps to think before you speak sometimes.