Nameless Account | Teen Ink

Nameless Account

By Micky GOLD, Snellville, Georgia
Micky GOLD, Snellville, Georgia

"To be successful, you must decide exactly what you want to accomplish, then resolve to pay the price to get it." ~Bunker Hunt

The band’s drumline is on the field, facing off the other team’s drumline. People ring the battling drums and crashing cymbals, eager for a good show. I’m there as well.

Only I’m too short to see anything. I look for a pathway to the inside of the ring. Dancing people are squashed together, bumping into one another. Seeing is impossible. I look for a tall friend whose back I can climb onto. I spot one: he’s one of my best guy friends, he’s about six foot three, and he’s just standing there.

I walk up to him. I say hi, place a hand on his shoulder then jump onto his back. He staggers under the unexpected weight. I press my legs around him tightly but not painfully and clasp my hands at his chest. I rest my chin on top of his head and enjoy the show.

Suddenly, he had to leave.

“I’m gonna let you down now.” He says.

I release my grip and slide down his back. I join a small group apart from the ring and dance.

I never guessed how those words could haunt me.

Three months later, my closest love perished, life snatched from the body. I was thrown into despair. I didn’t know what to do.

I came across my best guy friend. He smiled, he laughed, he made me feel all right. I couldn’t pretend that I had no feelings for him.

But he couldn’t hold me up, keep me on his back, so I couldn’t see.

He let me down.

I lost all sight. I lost all hope. I lost myself.

Misery loves company, but anguish loves loneliness. Anguish, akin to death; anguish, brother to depression; anguish, father of suicide.

I joined a new, elite, elect group, dancing on my own now. I don’t have to worry about seeing. There is nothing to see.

I was always too short anyway.