What I've Learned | Teen Ink

What I've Learned

By MayaElyashiv PLATINUM, Ramat Hasharon, Other
MayaElyashiv PLATINUM, Ramat Hasharon, Other

“What did you learn in school today?”

I remember Mom asking me that question every day after school in first grade.

“What did you learn in school today?”

I would sit at the kitchen table and write down everything the teacher had taught us that day.

After first grade ended she didn’t ask as often, so I didn’t tell her. But Mom, now that I’m in tenth grade I’m learning lots.

“What did you learn in school today?”

Today I learned that betrayal takes time to really sink in. I learned that you can feel part of something while being excluded by everyone, and that hurts the most. But Mom, in tenth grade I’m not taught by the teacher.

“What did you learn in school today?”

Today I was taught that my place in line is behind the line, that I have no place in the circle. I was taught that promises are easily broken, and hope is the most fragile thing in the world.

I learned lots today, Mom. But it wasn’t anything I wanted to learn.

“What did you learn in school today?”

“Nothing, Mom. Nothing.”

I think that this may be one of my best pieces, because although it's very short I think it manages to make the reader feel the pain of the main character. (By the way this is complete fiction. No truth to be found)

on Oct. 4 2010 at 11:49 pm
It's interesting that you feel like the Mother's character is lacking...because when I wrote the piece, I thought of her as a prop, an inanimate object that I used in order to show the feelings of the main character. I just thought that because the child was older she was no longer as worried about what happened at school...but maybe you are right, I should go a little deeper into her character. Thank you!

Dackary SILVER said...
on Oct. 4 2010 at 10:20 pm
Dackary SILVER, Jacksonville, Florida

"And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." - Former president John F. Kennedy

I really like this piece. I love the struggle between the individual and their mother. Each paragraph the struggle becomes more vivible. Maybe expand on connecting the concept of exclusion to that of how the mother excludes the subject. What is it that she specificacally does that is taking her focus away from asking about her childs day at school? Is she growing weak and too tired to speak? Does she have a person who she loves and she cant spend time with the child or ask them how they are doing? You want to show the reason why the mother is avoiding the child.

on Sep. 23 2010 at 9:54 am
Thank you :)

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Sep. 23 2010 at 8:52 am
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

I already critiqued this in the forums, but I just wanted to say I really like it!

on Sep. 21 2010 at 11:38 pm
Thank you so much...!

on Sep. 20 2010 at 6:03 pm
mudpuppy BRONZE, Orangeburg, South Carolina

Life is like a box of cheese and flower petal sometimes it's soft and sweet, sometimes it just plain stinks. - M.J.

Being exclued by everyone. Boy, do I know how that feels. Even through this is fiction, it stills has a realstic flavor to it. :)