Random Mind Dump | Teen Ink

Random Mind Dump

August 11, 2010
By jessi GOLD, Nunya, Florida
jessi GOLD, Nunya, Florida
15 articles 4 photos 115 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."


Me: “Guys, chill, it’s not like that.”
Johnathon: “Then why are you going out of your way to be nice to him?”
Me: “Dude, he’s my best friend’s boyfriend. I actually approve of this one, I want him to stick around for awhile.”
Michael: “You still haven’t answered the question.”
Me: “It’s summer, I don’t really hang out with anyone a lot, and I’m bored. Somehow, that adds up to me being nice to the people I know when I see them. Okay? Seriously, just drop it already.”
Michael (to Johnathon): “She’s getting defensive. That’s a sure sign.”
Me: “What? That’s a sure sign of what?”
Michael: “You like him. How cute!”
Me: “WHAT? No flipping way. I wouldn’t date him, just the thought is weird and unpleasant.”
Michael: “Uh-huh. Sure.”
Me: “You guys! Johnathon, you know me better than this. You can tell when I’m lying, come on.”
Johnathon: “Well, you do seem to be telling the truth… Then again, you’re actions hint otherwise.”
Me: “What? Johnathon, come on!”
Johnathon: “Sorry Jess, but you do appear to be-“
Michael (finishing helpfully): “Twitterpated. Completely and totally twitterpated.”
Me: “You guys are such idiots. I do not like him as anything more than a friend. So just drop it, okay?”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I slouched in my seat in World History. ‘Video day, what a joy.’ I thought sarcastically. As the narrarator’s rather boring voice began droning on about the beginning of World War II, my mind began to wander to yesterday’s encounter with Him.
I had bought him a bottle of water because he was thirsty. As I turned to leave, I had to roll my eyes and smile at his comments. “Thanks, you’re the best. See you around.” Fake, perhaps, but nice nonetheless. Well, the thanks was sincere; the rest of it not so much. He thinks his girlfriend is the best, that’s no secret. And she’s my best friend, so I can see why he thinks so. As for the seeing me around, I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen him away from his job, so I don’t quite see that happening anytime soon.
“You’re smiling.” Johnathon stated quietly, breaking my train of thought.
“Yeah, so?” I whispered back, trying not to draw the teacher’s attention. Not that he was paying attention to anything past the double decker hamburger in front of him, but best not to push my luck.
“The video’s talking about the torture techniques used in the Holocaust. Most people wouldn’t find this topic as enjoyable as you seem to be.”
My cheeks grew pink. Thankfully, the only light in the room was from the tiny T.V. screen in the front of the room. Finally, I replied that my mind had wandered.
“Thank Goodness.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Smiling, I wave as he turns a corner and disappears from sight. I start walking to my locker, thinking of the conversation we just had. As I unlocked my locker, I tried to think of when we had first met – not the first time we saw each other, but the first time we actually talked to each other, when we started becoming friends. Finally, ‘Study Hall, First Semester, Sophomore Year’ pops into my head. We would always try to hold the door open for the teacher, and after the first few weeks it turned into a competition. This sometimes led to the two of us holding open one door for one very confused teacher.
“Jess?” I blinked and looked over at Michael. “What?” I asked, moving to put up my books from my last class. He shrugged. “Nothing. You were just standing there staring straight at your locker and smiling like a crazy person.” He frowned, then asked, “Are you on drugs?” I rolled my eyes. “NO, I was just thinking of something from last year.”
“Okay.” Michael replied. He looked around the hallway, which I noticed for the first time was unusually empty. “By the way, I think you’re late for your next class.” “DANG IT!” I threw the last of my books into my locker, and tried to frantically figure out what classes I had next. “Gotcha! It’s the end of the day, come on or you’ll miss the buses.” Michael turned away laughing.


The author's comments:
Also, the reason this is in fiction is because Johnathon and Michael live in my head... Read all about them in my peice "Insanity?" found here on Teenink at this link: http://teenink.com/nonfiction/personal_experience/article/226082/Insanity/
At any rate, comments are always welcome. I'm not a good writer, and I'm always open to tips on how to improve. Thanks! :)