The Other Kind of Teenage Angst | Teen Ink

The Other Kind of Teenage Angst

May 7, 2010
By iwanttobeforeveryoung GOLD, Forest Hills, New York
iwanttobeforeveryoung GOLD, Forest Hills, New York
11 articles 2 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When the power of lover overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix


As a teenager you're supposed to be stressed out about this test or that, one fight or another, that cute boy looked at you and another said “hi.” You're supposed to moan and groan to your parents about the unfairness of your life. Of how you can't to to this party or that one. You rail at your parents “HER mom lets her go out with boys! Why can't I?” and then you slam your door, causing that Jacob Black poster to fall to the ground.


But what about the rest of us? The ones who DON'T have Twilight posters, but Star Wars, or Harry Potter. The ones who love sci-fi, but don't know every detail and have never gone to a comic-con convention their life. The ones who are classified as geeks or nerds but can't reassemble a computer to save their lives and who have never touched a video game console. The ones who don't care if that ice cream cone has “so many calories!” and the ones who don't want to dress up and go to some party and watch others make a fool of themselves. The ones who don't want to watch chick flicks or read about Lindsay Lohan's latest escapades. Those who have read every book in the house and in the local library and who's favorite TV show went off the air three years ago. The ones who are romantics at heart, but aren't living a fairytale. The ones who love many things but aren't exceptional in any of them. The ones, that when done with their homework, stare at the ceiling. For they have nowhere to go, no one to see. The ones that fade into the background.

What about us?


The author's comments:
For all of us who's teenage apathy is for different reasons.