Come Back, Love | Teen Ink

Come Back, Love

March 16, 2010
By katiemiladie GOLD, Glendale, California
katiemiladie GOLD, Glendale, California
19 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Your smiles fade subtly, your laugh lines begin to smooth. I can see loving me is a chore. I can see loving me has become a drawn out act of pity. Loving me is no longer something you dream about, it is something you lay awake at night dreading. Kiss me one last time, my chivalrous prince. Kiss me one last time and remind me what it was that made me so special. Kiss me one last time and try to remember why we loved each other in the first place. For as daylight breaks from moon to moon, I begin to long to see you more, as I know you long to see me less. Light floods the window pane you once threw pebbles at. Light floods the window pane which was once a symbol of our love.

My darling please take off that uniform, for I know it’s what’s keeping you away. The stars and stripes that once made me feel so proud, now constantly remind me how far away you are. Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps you are not falling out of love with me, but forcing yourself out. For maybe you know the truth that lies behind my poetic wails. For maybe you know I will lose you one day. My love, you know me better than anyone else. That is why you know that I would be rejected, far before I would be deprived of you by death. Now that I have discovered your plan, I will play along. I will pretend to devastated when you reject me. When truly I know, one day I will be back in your arms.