I dedicate this story to my best friend | Teen Ink

I dedicate this story to my best friend

October 24, 2009
By LeilaniLives PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana
LeilaniLives PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana
42 articles 11 photos 128 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They say 'Life's two steps forward and one step back' - But what if I tripped and fell down the whole flight of stairs?"


Coming home from kindergarten, she took off her shoes and coat, threw her backpack down, and ran to her room. She closed the door behind her and sat down upon her bed. Dangling her feet off her bed, her mother walked in. She sat down beside her little girl and began the usual, "Honey, how was your day? Tell me about it." But the little girl hardly told her anything, as always, "Painting was fun. Dress up was fun. I made a snow angel today." Looking into her little girl's eyes, that mother gently moved the hair out of her sweet daughter's face and smiled. The little girl smiled back and that was enough reassurance for her mother to get up and leave the room.




Still dangling her feet, that little girl thought about all the things she wanted to tell her mommy. She wanted to tell her all she wanted was one friend. All she wanted was one person to make her laugh and smile and play with her at recess. She wanted to tell her mommy that all the other kids had fun at recess but she always felt alone. She wanted to tell her mommy all of the times she had said Tommy and Michelle and Brook played with her that day, she had lied and no one ever really played with her.




One day that little girl's mother decided to drop by the little girl's school during her lunch break. When she arrived lunch had already passed and recess was still in session, so she walked outside to say hello to her sunshine. When she started to walk down the winding sidewalk to the playground, she noticed some of the children were playing tag. She smiled as she watched them play as they ran through some more of the children building snow men. Putting one foot in front of the other, she walked to the tire swing and saw the rest of the children pushing each other and standing in line to take their turn. Then, she realized she hadn't seen her little girl in any of the groups. She saw her clear across the playground, all alone, making snow angels.




Later on that day when the little girl got home, hung up her coat, took off her boots, threw her backpack down, and ran upstairs, her mother was sitting upon her bed, waiting for her. The little girl jumped up on her bed, started dangling her feet, and her mommy turned to her and said, "Honey, you know you can tell me everything, right?" and the little girl nodded. She knew she could tell her mommy how she never played with anyone at recess because she didn't have a friend, but she didn't want to. She wanted her mommy to think everything was okay, so she just lied to her each and every day.




The next day at school when she went out to recess, and she walked over to the spot she always made snow angels alone, she saw something. As she walked up to it, she started to see it was a teddy bear. A beautiful, brown, stuffed, teddy bear was sitting patiently in her favorite spot. That little girl picked him up and gave him a long hug; she had found her friend. And in the distance, behind the corner, her mother was watching and smiling.